Dr. Batzdorf

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Dr. Batzdorf

Postby hikealaska » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:06 am

I had a very exciting visit with Dr. Batzdorf today. If you are in Southern California, or willing to take a trip, I would HIGHLY recommend him. It was lovely to have a doctor spend 2 1/2 hours getting to know me, hearing my whole story. He reviewed all my scans and surgical notes prior to my visit so he did not spend my visit time having me wait while he reviewed things. He then entered the office and told me to tell him my story, pretending like he knew nothing other than my name, age, and what I do for a living. He was very attentive and asked a lot of questions, took great notes (by hand no less). He asked many what seemed to be random questions about how I started my day, at what pain level, to how I ended my day at what pain level. He asked me what made pain worse and what made it better. He then explained why he believed I was still in so much pain, and more importantly what to do about it. I have a relatively large gap between my patch from decompression and my brain tissue. Combine the gap with the fact that the patch is elastic in nature is spelling disaster for me. As the day progresses and the CSF flows, fluid starts to collect in gap causing the patch to expand. He showed me the difference between scans that had been performed on me in the AM and scans performed later in the day and there was a significant difference in the way the patch set. It bulges out later in the day. To test the theory, this weekend I am to take a pair of socks that have been folded and press them into the back of my head, holding them steady with an ace bandage. It needs to be fairly tight to hold the socks in place. If the pain doesn't progress as much during the day he will perform a surgery to place a titanium plate over the patch, secured to the bone. The success rate for him performing this surgery has been high and has greatly reduced the pain levels on those he has performed it on. Exciting.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Re: Dr. Batzdorf

Postby dtyree » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:59 am

This is wonderful news for you Karen. I am so glad you have found the doctor that will help you and hopefully put your pain behind you.

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Postby reedy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:10 am

How gratifying to find a sensible explanation for your problems! I hope the surgery works - it sure sounds like Batzdorf knows how to think through the problem and has come up with a likely solution!

It is also useful to hear exactly what questions Batzdorf used to arrive at his diagnosis. He has a reputation as one of the very best NS out there for syringomyelia. I consulted with him remotely and he provided a thoughtful analysis of my situation (and also sent it to Dr Heiss, who I ended up seeing).

Keep us updated Karen!
reedy

Postby June » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Karen - Thanks for sharing this terrific news! I'm really happy for you and hope that this proves to be the answer to your pain.

Let us know what happens.

June
June

Postby jfreema » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:08 am

I'm so glad that you have someone helping you! I hope you'll keep us informed on how it works out!

Best regards,

Jennifer
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Postby karenb » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:35 pm

Karen,

I'm so happy to hear about your positive visit. Please keep us posted about your results, impressions, etc.

Karen

P.S. I have a personal interest in this - Dr. Batzdorf & Dr. Oro are about the same distance, and I'm debating whether to see about getting a new consult...
karenb

Postby hikealaska » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:06 pm

Karen,
I know both are very capable. I just know that it's quicker to get in and see Batzdorf. I got in almost immediately.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby hikealaska » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:08 pm

I forget to mention, I was essentially pain free all weekend. My neck didn't spasm. I had some burning, but otherwise great. I'm sure the plate will work a little but better than the socks too. :) :lol: :)
Karen
hikealaska

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:45 am

Karen, so glad to hear you found someone who was willing to listen to you and took time to sort things out.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby karenb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:39 pm

Karen,

It sounds like things are working out for you - I'm so glad!!!

Keep the faith - and keep us posted!

Karen
karenb

Postby hegnauea » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:37 am

I'm so glad to hear this news! I love it! So happy for you.
Ab
hegnauea

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders