Spinal Cord Stimulation

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Spinal Cord Stimulation

Postby pseudotumor » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:25 am

Hi all, I had my pfd surgery on august 4th and it was a great success, however since then i've been experiencing severe nerve pain (occipital), which has been unresponsive to medications and nerve blocks, and is almost as bad as the symptoms I was having to prompt surgery.... My doc's suggesting a spinal cord stimulation implant, and to be quite honest - it's creeping the ** out of me. I'm not getting how it works exactly, and the thought of something going wrong with an electrical device right next to my spinal cord terrifies me. Anyone have experience with one of these implants? If so - please share.
pseudotumor

Re: Spinal Cord Stimulation

Postby tennesseewalker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:48 pm

I have had my SCS for just over a year, and I love it. It feels like an electric buzzing. Not painful at all. As it was explaind to me, nerves can only carry one message at a time, and the stronger signal is the one that gets through to your brain. I had been suffering for more than 3 years with burning, stinging, FREEZING sensations in my right arm and hand. My diagnosis is RSD, and MRI evidence shows my syrinx, which has been slowly flattening since my PFD in 1996, beginning to collapse onto itself. The inside of the cord that had been in contact with CSF only was now partly brought together, bottom and top touching for the first time ever.

Anyway, the stim signal overpowers the pain signal. SCS is not for everyone; some people don't like the sensation. That's why they require a trial SCS. If the trial is successful, the implanted SCS comes after. SCS is suggested only after all else has failed to relieve your pain.

I hope that helps.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders