Cymbalta and Insomnia?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cymbalta and Insomnia?

Postby princesk8 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 am

My doctor is having me take the Cymbalta at night. 30 mg was ok but now that she upped me to 60 mg, I've had insomnia for the past 4 nights! Will this go away or do I ned to switch to taking it in the morning? I'm calling doctor's office today, but just wondering if anyone else had experience with this. I also take 50 mg Lyrica 2x per day. Before this I was taking 100 mg neurontin 2x per day and 2.5 mg of Lexapro. Problem with nuerontin was I couldn't increase b/c of how tired it made me.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
-K
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Cymbalta and Insomnia?

Postby razzle » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:00 pm

I would think it to be the Lyrica as it states below and what I have heard from others

Important information about Lyrica
You may have thoughts about suicide while taking Lyrica. Your doctor will need to check you at regular visits. Do not miss any scheduled appointments.

Call your doctor at once if you have any new or worsening symptoms such as: mood or behavior changes, depression, anxiety, insomnia, or if you feel agitated, hostile, restless, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby princesk8 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:45 pm

It's possible but I've been taking the Lyrica for almost 3 months and when I was taking the higher does once a day it made me groggy. Who knows, maybe it's the combo of the two. Doctor has advised me to take Cymbalta in the morning to see if it helps. Always doing the trial and error thing, oh well!
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby jfreema » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:03 pm

Cymbalta made me groggy at first, then gradually an insomniac no matter when I took it. I had to go off it.
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Postby NextNyc » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello,
Yes I had a similar issue with Cymbalta, I was up to the max dose.
I was also took Neurontin- it didn't help,most important thing, and also made me feel not tired as in i could sleep but a strange grogginess.

Have you gotten any symptoma release?
Syrinx C4 C6 with tail to T1; ACM 3 mm herniation. Symptoms=excruciating pain in arms and worse pain in shoulders & neck pain, the neck at min feels pressure filled and aches.Any position besides a reclined in Lazy Boy makes it worse
NextNyc

Postby karenb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:42 pm

Cymbalta is an SSRI - the whole point is to mess around with your serotonin levels to make you feel better. It would stand to reason that it would make it difficult to sleep (kind of like my Albuterol inhaler does if I have an attack at night).

You might ask about taking it in the morning and see if that helps. I have been told by every nurse I've discussed it with to take SSRIs (e.g. Cymbalta, Prozac, etc) only in the morning, since they disrupt sleep patterns.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Kraen
karenb

Postby princesk8 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:53 pm

Well it's helping with the skeletal muscular pain, esp the stuff caused by my scoliosis. Doctor told me to take melatonin since I"m not taking the med for depression it's okay. I just started taking it and she also said it would take awhile to buildup in my system. It's helping, but I'm still waking up, just not as much. I am taking Cymbalta in the morning now too, which has helped a little bit. I don't know what's worse being exhausted tired on gabapentin or being wired tired on this. I'll let you know how the melatonin is after I've been taking it for two weeks.
princesk8

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders