Is there a connection?? So confused now....

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Is there a connection?? So confused now....

Postby cflmom » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:01 am

Well good morning everyone. I have a connection question. Any advice, feedback, comments ALL welcome! I was DX with a small SM in 2009. I had a surgeon who could not wait to get his hands into my spine. He put a shunt into the SM at approx C6. It was not a big SM, .5cm X.5mm. any how he shunted it and commented that the discs next to it at some point would need to be operated on as well, guess he wasnt excited by them and chose to ignore them. And not for nothing from the moment I woke up from surgery I have no feeling in my right leg, hip to toe. Well after a really uncomfortable year I went to Dr. Green in Miami who said the shunt had come out and was now lodged in the dura but to just leave it for now because the discs were a mess osteophyte complexs up and down. He wanted to address that and since the SM was still in its shrunken state we would just watch it for now. MRI's every 6-10 months and that brings us where we are today.

New scan shows cord tethering at C6-7, probably due to scar tissue.

Empty sella turcica

SM 3.5 X 8.6 X 3.0 CM (no longer mm) MRI states Stable intramedullary cyst.

Are these things connected? I read that increased CSF pressure can cause Empty Sella Syndrome. Dont know if thats even anything to worry about. Not really sure how I feel about a 3rd surgery. I would like to put it off for now. My fusion from the disc surgery is not complete and I just feel like Im not ready to do it again at this point. The tethering, i think, is the only thing that bothers me these days. Its so hard to look down for any lenth of time to do anything. Not really sure whats connected what not. Getting confused. I go down on November 7th to speak to Dr. Green and Dr. Alameda.

Like I said any advice, comments, knowledge anyone can share would be sooooo appreciated.
cflmom

Re: Is there a connection?? So confused now....

Postby tennesseewalker » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:25 pm

Ask Dr. Green what he thinks about de-tethering. My twin had a shunt placed in 1989, and scar tissue stuck her spinal cord to her spine. She also had pain when looking down. She had her cord de-tethered this year and is much better.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Re: Is there a connection?? So confused now....

Postby cflmom » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:11 am

He recommended the surgery when i spoke with him in January (last scan date prior to this one) . I just am so apprehensive about having surgery. I just feel like there is always some residual problem afterward. I dont know. Im not doing any heavy pain meds so I keep telling myself when I need them is when I will consider surgery again. I hate going to "sleep". Im going to Miami on November 7th and I guess if there is a few surgical issues to be addressed I would consider it. So afraid of the whole thing. Thats why Im trying to find out if the other conditions are related...
cflmom

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders