Dizziness with head nodding and other fun symptoms

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Dizziness with head nodding and other fun symptoms

Postby ljturner66 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:44 pm

I have noticed in the past few days that the more I nod my head when I am in a conversation, the more I feel dizzy. Is this a common Chiari phenomenon? Another thing is that when I move my eyes from one part of a computer screen to another, the words on the screen seemed to me to be moving, kind like in a wave or "breathing" type movement, contracting and withdrawing. Last one is this sound I sometimes hear when I am trying to fall asleep, like a rush of wind or electricity going through my head. Just wondering if these might be Chiari related. Any thoughts?? Thanks!!!!
ljturner66

Re: Dizziness with head nodding and other fun symptoms

Postby lostsoul72 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:59 pm

Hi! I wouldn't say that it is just a CM related issue. I just have SM and I have had these things go on. What meds are you taking? Just curious that maybe that could be a contributing factor???? Not sure, but that's what everyone and the docs want to say right off. True is, I have had vertigo/ head-rush/ wavy-headedness since my symptoms began. Does your peripheral vision get weird sometimes? Things moving that aren't or maybe objects seeming closer than they appear? That one is NO fun when I am driving at night- let me tell ya, LOL! Maybe one day we will get all this figured out!
Multiple Herniated Discs, DDD, SM-2mm wide from T4-T10, Hypothyroidism, Celiac Disease, Anemia

"[i]Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them[/i]..."
lostsoul72

Postby princesk8 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:51 am

I have CM/SM and have experienced some of those things, like the dizziness, head rushes. Especially if there's low pressure, raining a lot, stuff like that. I had vertigo so bad once I had to go to emergency, that was not fun.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby Debbieducati » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:05 am

I would have to say Yes also, I only have SM but my virtigo was so bad once I was paralysed from the hips down for 3 weeks. It comes and goes when the ICP pressure is bad. (Intra Cranal Pressure). I have found when I sleep wrong or over do it, the dizziness and virtigo get worse. It has also effected my vision to where I can't see out of one eye at a time. I just close my eyes when this happens and stretch with my yoga ball and it get's better. I hope this helps a little even though it's no fun.
Love
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:13 pm

Many of the medications we commonly take can cause those symptoms. Opiates and antidepressants that affect serotonin can cause things like that to happen. Lyrica seemed to interrupt my sleep when I took it, especially while starting to fall asleep. Sleep paralysis tends to start off as a buzzing or other noise while falling asleep.
DX: SM (idiopathic), Crohn's disease, Graves' disease, gallstones, scoliosis, anemia
Meds: tramadol, Asacol, Cymbalta, Synthroid, fish oil supplement, multivitamin
Cyborg Ninja

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders