Hip Surgery?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Hip Surgery?

Postby drummergrl » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

Have any of you had hip replacement or hip arthroscopy? My PCP thinks my scoliosis (caused by my SM) made my hips grow oddly, and therefore cause major cartilage erosion. This is a brand new doctor for me, and although I really like him because he is hugely sensitive to the special needs that come with CM and SM, does this sound like a premature decision? I'm in my early 20's and haven't ever heard of anyone needing hip surgery at my age. He took x-rays (haven't gotten results yet) but said he would suggest hip surgery if there is erosion.

So, while this is only indirectly related to my SM, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Re: Hip Surgery?

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:31 pm

I have not but no matter, you should always get a second opinion before making a decision about surgery.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Hip Surgery?

Postby toport20 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:53 pm

I don't know, I know I have mild scoliosis and have moderate arthritis, I always was made fun of the way I walked. I have had knee surgery, my kneecaps are off track, and I'm just 42, I feel like I will need more surgeries somewhere else, just like I'm falling apart.

Godbless!
Pre OP:
SM 3mm C3-L1
Tonsillar Herniation 5mm due to TCS
TCS Surgery TCI 6-6-08
ICT 6-7-08

Post OP: 2011-MRI
CM 8mm
SM C2-C6 9mm

PFD done in May 2012
Arachnoiditis found
toport20