Well, It's Over For Now

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Well, It's Over For Now

Postby gunflint » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:07 pm

I returned from the NIH a little over a week ago. Dr Heiss performed a CCD on the 13th of October. You can read all you want about the surgery and post-op conditions but I really believe that it is something that needs to be experienced to be truly understood. Over all my experience was positive. There were a few non-surgical issues that I will discuss at another time but nothing that wasn't due to a perfect storm of circumstances.

I know that I had to have the surgery but my mind is still trying to wrap itself around the discomfort post surgery as opposed to pre-surgery. I am curious as to whether or not others have felt the same way. I would also like to ask any veterans about recovery. When I wake up in the morning now, I know that that's the best I'm going to feel all day. I need to rest several time during the day and I have zero strength or endurance. How long will this last? I will post more later and I would like to ad that it's good to be back.
gunflint

Re: Well, It's Over For Now

Postby drummergrl » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:30 pm

Glad to hear your overall experience was good! I know exactly what you mean- it truly must be experienced, no amount of research takes the place of a first-hand experience.

To answer your questions, for me, the post-op discomfort lasted a little over a month. It was probably closer to two or three months before I could wake up without initially thinking "Yep, I just had major surgery." I know I wasn't in pain after a month, though, if that helps. Like you said, there was just still some discomfort and overall run-down feeling for 2 to 3 months post-op. I discovered that the more I walked, the quicker I got my endurance. It seemed like a Catch 22 because walking initially made me feel even more exhausted, but eventually (within two weeks of trying to walk at least 30 minutes every day) things turned around and I felt stronger. Just make sure you don't overdo it- your endurance will slowly come back so don't try to push it too hard!

Sounds like you're well on your way to feeling better!
drummergrl

Re: Well, It's Over For Now

Postby karenb » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:36 pm

I am so glad to hear that you're back. I've been worried about you in your absence.

I cannot speak as a true "veteran", but I can say that it's always taken a lot longer than I expected to recover from any surgery I've had. Granted, my body hasn't experienced nearly the surgical insult that yours has, but you have to keep reminding yourself just how weak and compromised your body was by the time you were admitted for surgery. The body needs time to recover... for whatever reason, our bodies heal much more slowly than they break down... hmmm.

Hang in there - it will get better!!!

<<< gentle hugs >>>>

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders