Recovery Time

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Recovery Time

Postby gunflint » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:10 pm

As some of you know I had decompression surgery about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Over all I would say it was successful but only time and MRI's will tell. My question is for those that have had the surgery. How long will the fatigue last? I am having a return of some pre-surgery symptoms and it's just too soon for this to bother me but I would like to start jumping back into my life. I just seem to get energy for an hour or two (this coincides with pain meds) then I get so tired that I need to rest for an hour or two. This sitting around all day is very frustrating. I know that any type of heavy work is out but I get exhausted just doing phone work for an hour. Heaven forbid I should need to run a couple of errands. When I over do it I get some very intense signals from my nerves, head, neck, back etc. How long is this going to take? Thanks
gunflint

Re: Recovery Time

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:01 pm

I think recovery varies with each person. Is it possible the pain meds are adding to the fatigue? Just a thought. I know for most recovery is slow and it is important not to overdo but be as active as possible. Hopefully by the time the holidays are here you will be feeling much better. I don't think the winter weather helps. Most people seem to have an increase of symptoms this time of year. Praying for a speedy recovery and brighter days ahead.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Recovery Time

Postby Beverley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:03 pm

It is really important that you don't over do it.

The fact that the Pain meds seem to be making you feel like you can do things is really the key. It is the Pain meds talking to you and not what you should be really doing. Remember that the inside of your Brain needs time to heal. There is still swelling in there that will take time to heal. When you over doing things it is putting excess pressure on your brain and could even slow you healing. Take it easy and give your brain time to really heal. I cannot remember if you had the duraplasty but that all takes time to heal too. The last thing you want is for them to have to go back in to fix a leak because you over did it to soon.... just saying... I know this is not what you want to here. I have been there...

The fatigue you are asking about is telling you to take it easy... As you start to ween off the pain meds it will give you a better feel as to how you are really doing. At about 5-6 weeks you will start feeling a bit more normal so to speak. But jumping back into life as it was is a slow process and you have to heed what your body is telling you.

Really it is a few months before you start to not think about it so much. But you have to always remember that surgery is not a cure it is just a step in slowing down the progression of symptoms your brain is still not where it should be so care needs to be taken always.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders