3mm Chiari Radiologist

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

3mm Chiari Radiologist

Postby marja » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:47 am

All my MRIs showed 6mm chiari herniation except for my most recent one a couple months ago. It showed 3mm herniation. I am thinking it must be a mistake on how it was measured. I read (I think from a study article on this site) that some radiologists define chiari I as >5mm and some radiologists define chiari I as >3mm. If 3mm is not defined as chiari I, then it would definitely is chiari 0? I applied for soc sec disability, and the latest MRI is stating I do not meet the definition of chiari. It is does not state chiari I. However, I think I still meet the definition of chairi= chiari 0.

I think there was just and error with my latest MRI, but I was wondering how I could find a radiologist who defines chiari I as 3mm or more. Has anyone had a MRI report show they have chiari with 3mm?
marja

Re: 3mm Chiari Radiologist

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:57 pm

What does your NS say? Most of the time your NS read your MRI himself and make the diagnosis Chiari 1 or not. Not a radiologist.
You can also consider an upright MRI. On a upright open MRI you can see and measure the herniation better. I don't know if that is possible in short distance from you, or that you have to travel far. I also don't know about the costs.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby Beverley » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:14 pm

I agree the NS should read it him/herself to know.

You are right that each radiologist/Doctor reads and/or interprets the MRI their own way. It does depend on what they are measuring off of. Also it depends on which MRI view they are using to measure from also.

But in my case. My CM on my MRI looked to be 2-3mm. When they did surgery my brain was actually down to C2 in my spinal column. I think that there are several reasons for the difference. One is I think that the MRI can be positional. Maybe if you had shifted into a different position of your neck or shoulder it would have been different? I know that they also found when they got in there something they did not notice on my MRI is that I have lost the curve at the top of my spine thus leaveing less room from my brain to my spine...

Another thing is they have started to use the Upright MRI to see the herniation. This position could change what you are seeing also.

All this comes back to what you were saying about Chiari less thant 5mm may not be considered Chiari. All these reasons are why so many people believe that the amount of herniation does not really matter. They symptoms along with herniation should be used to consider what is what.

Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby marja » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:58 pm

Does an upright MRI generally show chiari herniation to be less or more than a regular MRI? I am not sure where I could get an upright MRI.
marja

Postby Beverley » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I am not sure which shows more. I have read a few times that people have got better results from the upright MRI. You would probably have to call around as not every place that does MRI's will have the capability of doing an upright MRI. I would check with the local hospitals and see what they know about who in your area can do them.
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby marja » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:31 pm

I ordered an MRI from another place where I had MRI 3 years ago. It shows a 4mm herniation. The hospital radiologist also did not define it as chiari. I am surprised since one of the chiari recommended doctors works at this hospital.
marja

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders