Syringomyelia and tachycardia

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Syringomyelia and tachycardia

Postby Gill » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:20 am

I've had a diagnosis of thoracic syringomyelia for 2 1/2 years (symptoms for 3 years), which may be congenital and related to a bifid spinal cord. I have 'low lying cerebellar tonsils' but no diagnosis of Chiari.

Over the last few weeks I've been getting tachycardia - a very rapid heart rate. I've had some tests, with more to follow next week, and with no cause identified yet.

Could there be any connection here? Or am I just unlucky?

Gill
Gill

Re: Syringomyelia and tachycardia

Postby razzle » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:16 pm

you might want to check the disorder POTS
http://www.dinet.org/symptoms.htm
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Gill » Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:28 pm

Many thanks for this, Roz.

it's probably not POTS - the heart rate is rapid at rest, goes up a little bit more when I stand up, but through the roof if I do anything as drastic as walking slowly up a flight of stairs. The fatigue that goes with this is at a level I've never, ever experienced before.

The 'dysautonomia' stuff - on Roz's link - is fascinating. You know all those minor quirky symptoms that are real as hell but the neurologist looks at you as though you're mad when you mention them? It's possible to learn not to talk about them any more, but it doesn't follow that they go away... The idea of an underlying autonomic nervous system disorder that can express itself in a load of different ways could make sense.

Gill
Gill

Postby phyrehawke » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:04 am

There could be a connection Gill, but I don't know what to say too much beyond that. I have SM too, C2-T1, with borderline Chiari...not bad enough for surgery. My SM has been much more of a problem after a relativelly mild head/neck injury. Before that I never had tachycardia and then afterwards one month it suddenly started happening. And my blood pressure started also *really* reacting to my pain level by going very high, but when I'm not stressed it's fine.
Sometimes SM can throw you curve balls like this. Like I've been having mild seizures for years, but this summer they got a lot worse very quickly, and it turned out that the SM was one of 3 contributing factors.
Rozanne/phyre (not the Roz you were talking to before)
"A path of awakening would never suggest that we should be a passive and unwitting spectator of our own repeated disasters, but should turn the power of our attention to untangle the web of complexity." Christina Feldman
phyrehawke

Postby weevab » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:38 am

Interesting - I've been noticing tachycardia when I run, but wasn't sure if it was related to my SM or not. It's good to know there's a chance it is and not some other problem!
Ben - http://ooh-thathurts.blogspot.com
weevab

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders