Cymbalta?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cymbalta?

Postby smoovie0704 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I saw a new doctor today due to changes in my insurance. I liked him right away. Did a full physical and neurological exam. Took copies of my discs and reports, listened to my 4 year history with the CM. He believes I may have a syrinx and is ordering a cervical MRI, which I have pleaded with other MD's to order but never have gotten anywhere. It is going to be done in his facility, which is very professional and has very friendly staff. Also stated that he feels very strongly that I have fibromyalgia and gave me a trial of Cymbalta to try. Never been on this, but I am reading now about insomnia and that was one of my complaints to him, so I am confused? It has been a long time since I have been on meds for my CM and I am skeptical. Any experience you can share will be appreciated!

MRI next week and EMG the following. Scared to death of the syrinx but I cannot change what I have. His goal, he says, is to improve my quality of life. Even took the time to meet my husband who waited outside because he annoys me in the exam room.
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Re: Cymbalta?

Postby pmaxwell » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:47 pm

type cmbalta into the search in the upper right conner of the blue bar. You will see post on this from others.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Postby smoovie0704 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:15 am

So far so good with Cymbalta. I was nauseas the first two days but I feel better than I have felt in a while...only trouble is I wake up at 4 a.m. every day and cannot go back to sleep. I am only on 30mg, start 60mg so I am hoping for the best.
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby June » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:09 am

I've been on Cymbalta, 30 mg, for 6 months or so. It is used for both depression and pain, I believe, and it has helped my mood--but I don't think it has helped pain. I haven't noticed any change in sleep habits--I don't sleep very well and take Ambien--but things seem the same as usual. Hope it helps you.

June
June

Postby princesk8 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Started taking Cymbalta for muscoskelatal low back pain. Doctor thought it would be better for me than Lexapro which I was only taking 2.5 mg to help me sleep. 30 mg caused no side effects. When doc upped me to 60 mg I got insomnia right away! I had to take melatonin, drink relax tea and take magnesium calm to make sure I slept through the night for the first 6 weeks! I would still wake up once or twice, but that is better than lying awake for 4 hours!! The last few days I've been doing good with just the melatonin and I plan to start decreasing how often I take it to see if I can stop. It does help with the low back pain caused from scoliosis and syrinx but if I can't sleep I will be going back to Lexapro or hopefully not be on either.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby youngwife » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:58 pm

My daughter, Rachael, switched from Savella to Cymbalta a few months ago, and has been very pleased with the results. She takes her daily 60 mg dose in the morning, and has not had any problems with insomnia.

HTH! :)
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby smoovie0704 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks all. I was better on 30mg after day 3 - I fall asleep easy and get 8 hrs. Today I started 60mg and did take it in the morning because I learned last week that was better for me. Had a cervical spine MRI today and waiting for the doctor to call me this afternoon. I am sure I see a syrinx in the CD images.
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders