short term memory

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

short term memory

Postby taichi » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:27 pm

My age may play a part in this but I don't think so. (67). My short term memory is horrible and understanding the meaning of a conversation is very hard for me to get. My meds, Tramaddol 50 mg. 4 times daily, topiramate 25 mg. 3 X daily, dexliant 60 mg daily, diazepam 2.5mg when needed for dizziness, ambein. I realize the topiramate will cause problems with speech but he said it would not cause short term memory loss. Me Nl did not say what it was or I did not understand, I took it it, as the disease. If any of this makes any sense I would appreciate a reply if you are having this problem. thank you

Barbara

I have SM, Menere's disease and alot of bone issues
taichi

Re: short term memory

Postby smoovie0704 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Hi there, I suffered short term memory loss from the beginning of my CM diagnosis and it was worse while I was on Topomax. Some here affectionately refer to that med as "Dopomax" for that reason. Been off for two years now and I still have it.
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby fidget » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:53 pm

I also suffer from short term memory loss as well as word recall. It is the symptom that has effected me the most. I am 1 year and 3 months post surgery, and while my memory is better than prior to surgery, I still feel the effects. It is endlessly distressing because I base who I am so fully on my memory and my intelligence. I used to have an amazing memory in which if I heard something, I remembered it (like someone with photographic memory, except with my ears instead of my eyes). I never kept a calendar or made lists. I just remembered it. Now I have to write things down or I might not remember them. People were used to asking me to recall previous discussion for them, and now I frequently have to say, I'm not sure. I'll be in a middle of a sentence, and the word I'm about to say is just gone. Words I've used regularly for years won't come to the surface. Or sometimes I'll say another word, usually starting with the same letter or sounding similar, but meaning something entirely different in its place. My brain doesn't feel like it flows well through thoughts anymore. I've seen two neurosurgeons about this (Dr. Ellenbogen, who performed my surgery, and Dr. Kim), and both have laughed at me and said memory loss cannot be related to CM. I find this very infuriating because I know there are others with CM that have similar issues, but because they have not read it in a medical journal, it couldn't possibly be. I know that there is no magical solution to memory problems, but I just wish my neurosurgeon would recognize that the two are connected, and I can feel a little less crazy for the symptoms I have.
fidget

Postby pseudotumor » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:58 pm

I also have increasingly awful short term memory. I'll walk into a room and then forget why I went in there, I can't recall conversations, and need to write every little thing down. If I need eggs and I think of it in the grocery store parking lot, I'll forget by the time I get to the doors. It's infuriating and noone has an answer (primary, neurologists, psychologist.etc) It's affecting my life greatly. I'd love to blame it on medication but it happens even at times I've been off meds for a long time. I was told once by a professor that one dose of dilaudid can cause permanent memory loss - which concerns me because I took it daily for about 6 months. Has anyone else heard of this?
pseudotumor

Postby karenb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Barbara,

I'm so sorry to hear about your memory issues. Unfortunately, it could be just as others point out... and for that I'm really sorry.

A couple of ideas, based on my parents' history:

1. Has your hearing been checked lately by an audiologist? (That is, someone trained to evaluate hearing rather than someone paid to shove an expensive hearing aid,whatever the brand, into your auditory canal.)

2. When was your last full physical? Has that turned up anything that can adversely impact memory (vitamin deficiencies & imbalances, etc.)

3. When was your last full neuro exam? What you describe could be symptomatic of so many different different conditions.

God's blessings be with you - I will most definitely keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen
karenb

Postby pfb1977 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:24 pm

I have the sme issue. I'm just 34. Sometimes I think it's the neurontin but I'm not sure. Doctors are of no help as usual.
pfb1977

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders