Changes in Diagnosis

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Changes in Diagnosis

Postby smoovie0704 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:24 pm

Happy Holidays to all of you and your families. May you be pain free and enjoy each moment of this magical season with your loved ones.

Had an EMG yesterday - the new NL says no carpal tunnel. I do have a severely pinched nerve in my left funny bone. Cine MRI two weeks ago showed no syrinx and CM measures 6mm and not 9mm as per my last two MRI's in 2008 and 2010. We don't know why this is, maybe the brain stem was inflamed when I had the first two MRI's?

Diagnosis is fibromyalgia and that is the source of my nerve problems and faulty wiring. Cymbalta 30MG is doing the trick, 60 gave me side effects so we are going to try for 2 weeks more.

Enjoy your holidays and may we all be pain free for a little while at least!
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Re: Changes in Diagnosis

Postby hikealaska » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:08 pm

To quote one of my many doctors. . .

MRIs and CT Scans are the best technology we have for getting a glimpse of what is going on inside the human body. However, they are notoriously unreliable for giving exact data. It is when we get opened up for surgery that the full extent of things are seen. So, it is not a surprise that different MRIs show different degrees of herniation.
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby karenb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:32 pm

Merry Christmas... Or Happy Boxing Day, depending on the time where you live :-)

I'm very glad to hear that you don't have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - it's not much fun, and the surgery & recover is less fun...

By any chance, have they dx'd you with Ulnar Nerve Syndrom (that used to be what they called the primary cause of pinched nerves in the funny bone...)?

Best wishes for a wonderful holiday season and better days to come!

Karen
karenb

Postby June » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:44 am

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too. Glad to hear that you are getting some help. You mentioned 30mg of Cymbalta and said it is working for you. Can you tell me what it is doing for you? I'm taking 60mg of it and can't see that it is having any effect. What is it supposed to do?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

June
June

Postby smoovie0704 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:10 pm

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you! Yes June, it is ulnar nerve but he didn't give it any name. It is in the left arm which explains the weakness and numbness I get there, but the doctor is puzzled because I show absolutely no evidence of carpal tunnel yet both of my hands fall asleep during the night and feel like lead when I wake up. For the last three days I have been experiencing the left hand falling asleep several times during the day, I have a call into him to ask about it. I am being switched to Lyrica because Cymbalta had some rough side effects for me after two weeks of returning to 30 mg. I will tell you that my vision narrowed in the left eye, almost like I lost my peripheral vision and then got a bit blurry. I broke out in sweats in my face, dripping wet in 30 degree weather. Also could not sleep more than 4 hours and had some difficulties in my love life to put it nicely!

He is switching me to Lyrica as of Monday...I am afraid of the weight gain on that. Taking B6 vitamin which is really for Carpal Tunnel sufferers, but I have noticed a slight change in the hands in the morning.

So as of right now, my official diagnoses are: ACM 6mm herniation with no sign of syrinx, fibromyalgia and pinched ulnar nerve.

I do like this doctor so far, he is very forthcoming and returns every phone call. In our first visit he said "Our goal is to restore your quality of life". Two days ago when he returned my phone call he said that I can call him as often as I need to because I should have the answers I need and feel like I am improving.

Have been out of work almost a year now, I am going to try to file for disability early February. Don't know what my chances are, but I am going to get a lawyer.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby smoovie0704 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:11 pm

By the way, the Cymbalta did improve my symptoms - I felt more calm and the electric shocks disappeared on the 60 mg. I still had the shocks on the 30 mg.
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby June » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Thanks for the info about Cymbalta, and I'm so glad to hear that you've found such a sympathetic doctor. That helps so much on this journey. I hope the Lyrica helps you and doesn't cause side effects, but do watch the weight gain potential. Some of us have had a problem with that.

That hand problem is peculiar--sounds just like mine, but I have a syrinx. Well, I'm sure there are many causes with similar results! Good luck with it.

Happy New Year, and let's hope for the best!

June
June

Postby smoovie0704 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:53 am

Hi June,

No syrinxes, my spine is crystal clear. I have been waking up with my hands asleep for the last 3 years, right after the chiari diagnosis. Even though I have no pain in my wrists, I thought for sure he would find carpal tunnel. I have spent the last 16 years actively on the computer and the last 10 years crocheting regularly. But nothing. He is watching it, says I may be irritating the nerves.

Calling the insurance today about Lyrica coverage. I really am not looking forward to taking this med.

Thanks for the tip!
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders