Titanium Plate

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Titanium Plate

Postby hikealaska » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:28 pm

It has been a little while since my surgery. I had mentioned that Dr. Batzdorf thought there was a solution to the pain. That the duraplasty was filling with CSF over the course of the day and was, by the end of the day, somewhat like a water balloon at the base of my skull by days end. It would then "deflate" when I laid down at night.

On 11/28 I had the surgery to place the titanium plate. At the time of the surgery, the duraplasty from the original decompression was so distended that the titanium was not enough to cover the whole area. A gortex patch was put on as well to cover the entire duraplasty patch. Both attached to the skull, not the dura.

I'm not on here as much as I used to be, so for those of you who don't know, I was decompressed in 2008 and my symptoms never really eased. I subsequently had multiple surgeries, tethered cord release, invasive cervical traction, C5/6 fusion, installation of a spinal cord stimulator. (The last one helped briefly)

I have to say, I feel AWESOME. I'm still stiff, I will start PT in a couple weeks, mostly to teach me how to turn my head again since I haven't done so for years. I have minor surgical pain. I still have "bad" days, but those days are a 3 or 4 on the pain scale rather than a 10 like I was almost nightly before the surgery.

What this makes me wonder is how often are others with CM, who got no relief from decompression, have this same situation and it goes completely undiagnosed. TCI got it wrong with me, Cedars-Sinai got it wrong with me. I think all doctors acted with what they thought was my best interest at heart, but it still was not the right answer.

I am only the 15th time that Dr. Batzdorf has done this surgery. I just wonder how many more people could have their suffering ended or greatly eased by having this surgery done. I am assured that my pain level will continue to get better as I heal more and more. I am so elated. I am just also wondering if it will help any of the rest of you.

Have a Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a Wonderful New Year
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Re: Titanium Plate

Postby karenb » Sun Dec 25, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi Karen,

Merry Christmas, and best wishes for a MUCH BETTER New Year!

It sounds like Dr. Batzdorf may be on to something, at least with your condition. For your sake, I hope things start to improve.

Karen

P.S. As always, I continue to hope for the best for each person on the board who is/was a surgical candidate.
karenb

Postby jfreema » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:01 am

Karen,

Will you think about sending the information on what helped you to Dr. John Heiss at the NIH? I feel since he knows a lot of neurosurgeons and focuses on research that the method might get around to others more quickly. I don't know- it was just a thought since they do research. I'm so glad you're feeling better!
Jennifer
Pre-Op: SM C2-T4 (2mm C2 to C5, 6 mm C5 to T1, 2 mm T1 to T2, 7 mm T2 to T4), CM 8 mm
PFD surgery May 2010
Post-Op: Syrinx has completely disappeared - no evidence at all!
Surgeon: Dr. John Heiss at the NIH
jfreema

Postby hikealaska » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:10 pm

I would be happy to. WIll you send the information to my in a PM so I can send it off?
Karen
"People don't get what they deserve. They just get what they get, and there's nothing any of us can do about it." - House
hikealaska

Postby pamela d » Mon Jan 23, 2012 6:42 am

Hikealaska,

There are so many days, specially by evening, that I feel like my head is swollen. It also will feel the area where bone was removed pulse, like a strong heartbeat.

Did Batzdorf actually do your surgery...I know he is getting up there in age, and thought he just directed in the OR.

If you have the time, can you PM with more details of the procedure, and let me know if you have had continued success with it. I am very interested.

Thank You!

Pamela

(my PFD with duraplasty last done may/09)
pamela d

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders