Doctors in VA or Washington D.C.

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Doctors in VA or Washington D.C.

Postby aaylajm212 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Can anyone tell me if they know of doctors for this condition in Virginia or D.C. area?

Thanks,
aaylajm212

Re: Doctors in VA or Washington D.C.

Postby hegnauea » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Hi! I live in Washington DC and am seen by Dr. Fraser Henderson, who specializes in complicated cases of SM/CM with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome. He is wonderful. If you have a cut and dry classic Chiari, I have heard that Johns Hopkins can be quite good. Also, you are fortunate to be within shouting distance of NIH, which is currently running a study and a few people here have had their surgeries done there. Apparently the doctor doing the surgeries is very very good. Finally :), before I found Dr Henderson I was being kept tabs on by Faheem Sandhu at Georgetown, who I think would also be really great in a more clear cut case of Chiari/SM. There is at least one other person who has been on this board who had surgery at Georgetown - maybe they will chime in.

Since I'm atypical (I have borderline chiari, some sort of connective tissue disorder but not full on EDS, a big fat SM, and was just diagnosed with cranio-cervical instability), I felt like I needed to switch to someone better equipped to figure me out :). So I guess it depends.

Good luck!!
Ab
hegnauea

Postby aaylajm212 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Thank you so much. I am going to call Dr. Sandhu.
aaylajm212

Postby hegnauea » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Hey - I remembered someone got written up in the Washington Post and I found the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04101.html

This person used Kalhourn at Georgetown, so there's another option!
Ab
hegnauea

Postby aaylajm212 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:41 pm

It looks like she got treated in Alexandria VA at the Neurology & Headache treatment center...by Dr. Mahan Chehrenama? But thats not Georgetown? Sorry the surgury was done by the Dr. in Georgetown...I see that now.
aaylajm212

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders