Medication question.........

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Medication question.........

Postby Jankster253 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:09 am

Hello everyone...........I'm not trying to be a pain in the butt with all my questions.........BUT, I have another one. Before I start on the Neurontin (Gabapentin)......I was wondering who here has taken it and what your feelings are. Did it work for you? Did you have side effects?

Another thing.........have any of you tried the Voltaren patch for pain/inflammation? I have a prescription for that as well. Same questions........Did it work for you? Did you have side effects?

I always get nervous when starting new meds. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU!!

Teresa :)
Diagnosed with SM with unknown cause since 2007
C5/C6 prominent central canal
Syrinx measures 1mm T-5 to T-11
Degenerative disc disease
Chronic migraine
Jankster253

Re: Medication question.........

Postby razzle » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:38 am

well no.1 I always check side effects before I get the meds causes of allergies and weight gain.. Neurontin is a excellant med for pain and I was on it early on, but after about 2- 3ys noticed I was gaining weight . Yes it causes weight gain.. I am small and for me to get that big I then went into depression and then got off the med . But it is good for pain . The patch you speak of I tried it too but caused my skin to break out. So didnt notice that one . You will find the right combination ... It takes time ... Roz
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Teresa,

I'm just going to relate my own experience - when the doctor suggested trying Gabapentin for a month, I'd already been in 5 years of constant pain, had gone through years of genetic testing, rule-out testing (ALS, MS, etc), spinal taps (RSD), etc, and was barely able to walk. My attitude at that point was "what do I have to lose..."

Not knowing anything about the medication, I figured I had nothing to lose and gave it a shot. (Please realize that it was 10 years ago or so, and I didn't have access to any real medical support or knowledge base...)

For me, Gabapentin was the first medication or treatment in 5 years that gave me any relief. When I went back a month later, I was actually walking semi-normally (with a cane) and was starting to feel "normal" - something I hadn't experienced in a long time. It dealt with the severe pain/burning/numbness in my legs and feet to a point where I was able to start feeling more normal.

Granted, there are side effects, and they outweigh the benefits for some folks. For me, it was the first treatment that helped, and I still remember how grateful I was for the relief.

Karen
karenb

Postby Jankster253 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:37 am

Thanks sharing, I really appreciate it!
Chronic migraine
Jankster253

Postby jjames » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:18 pm

I have been on neurontin for quite a while. It gave me immediate relief from some symptoms, and eased some nerve pain right off the bat. I am now taking the maximum dose allowed and have to find other options. I did not experience any side effects with this medication. Good luck!
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby Jankster253 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 am

Thanks everyone. Took my first 300mg dose tonight before bed. Praying it works for me and I will be ecstatic if I sleep through the night tonight without tossing and turning!

Sweet dreams....

Teresa :)
Chronic migraine
Jankster253

Postby karenb » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:34 am

Teresa,

I missed your question regarding the Voltaren patch. I haven't heard of a patch, but I do use Voltaren gel - it works great! I haven't had any noticeable side effects from it, and would assume that the patch would be similar.

I hope you're sleeping better tonight, and will start feeling better soon.

Karen
karenb

Postby Jankster253 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:52 pm

Well.....I know it was only the first night on the Neurontin.....but I didn't sleep better! Tossed and turned all night again.......grrrrrrr! Went to my new PCP today and he added Zoloft (which I used to take)...... and Ambien to the mix. Hoping this "cocktail" will work. Seems like a lot of people here do the same. Gotta go volunteer in my sons class, have a good day!!
Chronic migraine
Jankster253

Postby JeffinMI77 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 pm

I hope you sleep better...I'm on a 4 hr max of sleep. I woke up yesterday morning in so much pain I almost went to the ER.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby Jankster253 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I slept ALL night, never woke up once. Not even when my husband got home from work at midnight.....and that always wakes me up! Best sleep I've had in months! It was like heaven. Sorry you are feeling so bad. Hope the rest of your day is better.
Chronic migraine
Jankster253

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:30 am

woohoo! good for you ! :D I love hearing good news. I am seeing a different Neurologist new week and i'm going to ask for something in addition to what i'm taking now.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby gunflint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I think it takes a while to build up in your system before it works real well. I've been on Gabapentin for over a year with no side effects. A couple of months ago I wasn't so sure it was working any more so I cut back. That lasted a day before I went back on the full dosage.
gunflint

Postby karenb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:11 pm

Teresa,

I'm so glad you slept well!!!

Hopefully, as Jeff & gunflint said, the gabapentin will build up in your system and you'll need the other meds less. I wish you all the best!

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders