Tethering at medulla

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Tethering at medulla

Postby jjames » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:32 pm

Hello all!
I have been experiencing new and worse symptoms as of late, so my md ordered a full MRI. I am "borderline" tethered at the base of the cord, and the NS believes that with the new symptoms and the fatty fibers it is enough to diagnose a tethered cord. However, he is also seeing a tethering at the base of the medulla. This was suspected last year, but it seems to be more pronounced now. He is afraid that the two are compounding each other, and the tethering at the bottom is causing more symptoms at the medulla. He is thinking that untethering at the base might elevate symptoms both places. He said he does NOT want to mess with the medulla, especially with my previous two surgeries. Has anyone been told they have tethering of the medulla? I would also just love to hear from people who have had tethered cord surgery at the base of the cord, as that surgery is looking more likely.
Thanks for all the help!
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Re: Tethering at medulla

Postby storm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:28 pm

I was just recently de-tethered (3 months ago) . Its been an interesting road to recovery , just like any major surgery .
My surgeon didnt believe that the surgery would help the damage done , just stop progression . However I feel i have less low back pain since the surgery . As long as I keep active the nerve pain in my right leg seems better also .

Tethering at Medulla , I have not heard of before.
storm

Re: Tethering at medulla

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:52 am

I can understand why your NS doesn't want to mess with the medulla. It controls vital functions like breathing and heartbeat. One false move and you're in a heap of trouble.

My twin had her PFD and shunt done in 1989. She recently had de-tethering surgery (scar tissue stuck her spinal cord to her spine). It helped her a lot. Hope this helps.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders