Leg cramps

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Leg cramps

Postby sherryhelms » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:50 pm

Do leg cramps seem to be a part of having a syrinx?
sherryhelms

Re: Leg cramps

Postby Debbieducati » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:49 am

Wow! I was just going to ask the same question, but I'm not sure if my is do to a nutrition problem too? All though my nutrition has been the best ever for 5 months now. Short story my syrnix is C-2, C-7, it started 8 years ago with temp. paresis, then pain. I had emergency surgery 4 years ago for an H-pyloric ulcer perferation. This killed the nerve to my stomach, so I went from 140lbs at 5"7 to my lowest 88lbs 5 months ago. I FIRED my insurence company and all my doctors. Went off all my medication on my own, even my pain meds. The hardest thing I ever did. Yes I have pain but I am able to get releive from a Chiropractor once weekly ( I know a lot of you say a Chiropractor is a big No No, but if I have a 10 migraine he releives it instantly. I get ICP migraines bad. Plus a lot of other things I have learned to live with.

Any way my legg cramps started 1.1/2 months ago, and they started in my sleep. I am making sure I am getting the propper minerials, I see 1 doctor a gastroenteroligist once monthly and he is great helps me with all my GI issues. So I'm not sure what is causing them. I do still work but I just had the last 2 weeks off and they happen more offten when I'm not working. I'm on my feet 10hours 4 days a week.

Now they happen somtimes while I'm awake. I have read over the years on this site that Spinal Cord Stenosis can cause legg cramps also?

Any Ideas/

Love all
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

My syrinx measurements.. if this a common size and such?

Postby sherryhelms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:59 pm

According to MRI info, My syrinx begins at T1 and goes to T11, at its widest at T5 - it measures 6mm. This expands the cord. Disc bulge at C4, C5, C6 and C7. Mild disc buldge at T11-12. There is a Chiari malformation with inferior extension of the cerebellar tonsils and crowding of the foramen magnu. At C6-7 the bulge is more focal protruding to the left and encroaches on the left nerual formen at this level.

Wondering if this is about normal, better or worse that normal???
Thanks!!!
Sherry
sherryhelms

Postby nanapbetts » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Hello, I have read that muscle spasms are common with Syringomyelia. I get them mostly at night also and don't laugh but a (non) juice drink called Bright and Early helps tremendously. It is full of potassium so I guess that is why it helps. It is bottled by Coca Cola but the only place I know of to get it is Wal-Mart.
I not only get the spasms but I get deep muscle what I refer to as "ropes". Am not sure if it actually is muscles or tendons but they are hard like bricks and difficult to get massaged back to normal.
If you have a Wal-Mart in your area, try the Bright and Early and let us know if it helps. Price is right!!!
nanapbetts

Postby karenb » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:00 am

Hello,

I delayed posting because I wasn't sure what you meant by leg cramps.

I have muscle groups in my legs that are "locked" in spasm - they're tight, like a cord. Some are very painful, others only when irritated (in other words, the pain has become normal).

My NL has me on regular doses of Baclofen for this - it helps with the spasticity. I haven't found anything that makes them go away, though - the earliest one started about 14 years ago.

Karen
karenb

Postby storm » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 pm

Could be tethered chord if you have Chiari .
storm

Postby gunflint » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:11 pm

I get very intense cramps in my legs and feet particularly in the evening when I get up from a reclined position.
gunflint

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:07 am

Are you referring to a charly horse type cramp? I get the all the time in the back of my legs. I also get alot of twitching ( DON"T LAUGH!) in my right butt check. Lol ok I laughed.

I also have nutrition issues from gastric bypass i have almost 6yrs ago. The first NS I seen blame the lack of feeling in my fingers and toes on it. Did not take SM too serious, I seen a new NS tomorrow.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby karenb » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:17 am

At least for me, the sensation is one of the muscle being flexed to its maximum - if you touch the side of my leg, it's like a taught cord/rope running from my knee to my ankle. It's strong enough to dislocate the intrinsic bones in my foot to which it attaches, and can be quite painful. In addition to the side of my lower leg, I have them in the big muscles in the backs of my thights - those are quite painful much of the time, and are a bit below charlie-horse intensity.

I only have SM - T6-T9. Three different NS's have evaluated my MRIs, and all three are in agreement that I do not have a Chiari Malformation, nor do I have a Tethered cord.

Karen
karenb

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:14 am

Debbieducati wrote:Wow! I was just going to ask the same question, but I'm not sure if my is do to a nutrition problem too?

Debbie, your leg cramps are likely caused by the nutritional issues you are currently facing. Potassium deficiency is one of the biggest culprits of leg cramps. Bananas would probably be the easiest thing for you to get potassium from; it likely won't irritate your stomach. Do know that potassium deficiency effects all of the muscles of the body, including the heart, and take this as a warning sign that you must digest this mineral as soon as possible. You should also get a blood test to see what other deficiencies you have.
DX: SM (idiopathic), Crohn's disease, Graves' disease, gallstones, scoliosis, anemia
Meds: tramadol, Asacol, Cymbalta, Synthroid, fish oil supplement, multivitamin
Cyborg Ninja

Postby razzle » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:55 am

legs cramps I agree with Cybro that is a defenciency and circulation problem. Low potassium .
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Debbieducati » Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:08 am

Lack of Potassum? Since my post I started taking one Potassum Glucconate daily with breakfast with all my other vit, minnerals and it's been three weeks now and after two weeks the legg cramps became less frequent, and now they are so mild I am able to massage them out. Then you all for your advise and to the rest of you who do have them nightley or even three times a week, if extra potassum in you diet does not work talk to you doctor. I will keep you all up dated as I continue to take it. My husband and I used to take it when we would play 3 soccer games a day after we turned 45, it would help with this. I will let my doc know when I see him in March. Thank again.

Love
Debbieducati
Love to all
Debbieducati
PTSM C5, C6
Debbieducati

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders