My syrinx and chiari...is this normal?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

My syrinx and chiari...is this normal?

Postby sherryhelms » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:01 pm

According to MRI info, My syrinx begins at T1 and goes to T11, at its widest at T5 - it measures 6mm. This expands the cord. Disc bulge at C4, C5, C6 and C7. Mild disc buldge at T11-12. There is a Chiari malformation with inferior extension of the cerebellar tonsils and crowding of the foramen magnum. At C6-7 the bulge is more focal protruding to the left and encroaches on the left neural formen at this level.

Wondering if this is about normal, better or worse that normal???
Thanks!!!
Sherry
sherryhelms

Re: My syrinx and chiari...is this normal?

Postby gunflint » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:38 pm

I think one of the most distressing things about our little group is that there is no definition of normal. We all have different locations and sizes of syrinxs. We all have different symptoms. And we all react somewhat differently to meds. The only definition of normal that I can come up with is that there is no normal. I know this doen't help with your question but it's a hard one to answer.
gunflint

Postby pseudotumor » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:01 pm

I agree. My syrinx is located exclusively in my thoracic region, and I've had the 'normal vs. abnormal' debate even amongst doctors where some have said it's bizarre and some say it's common.
pseudotumor

Postby JeffinMI77 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 pm

I have two in my thoracic spine.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby karenb » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:08 pm

I agree with gunflint - there is no such thing as "normal" for our group.

It is interesting that you have a Chiari malformation, but no syrinx in the cervical region - I think that may be what is triggering the "abnormal" debate. The debate may be whether the thoracic syrinx is related to the Chiari malformation or is of a totally different source???

Karen

P.S. FYI, I have no Chiari malformation, but do have a syrinx T6-T9 (3mm width), several bulging discs in the lumbar region, and arthritis in the cervical spine.
karenb

Postby tennesseewalker » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:00 am

If it was normal, the report would say so. As everyone has said, we're all different. Some people have a 2mm syrinx and are severely symptomatic, while others can have a 10mm syrinx and be asymptomatic. Before my PFD, my syrinx measured 15mm. After16 years, my syrinx (which is still changing) measures 14.8mm x 4.5mm. Slow but sure...
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders