Chiari I and Limitations

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Chiari I and Limitations

Postby breezyleigh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:54 pm

Hello, everyone. I am a 33 year old female just diagnosed with Chiari I. I've had symptoms for 10-15 years and my doctor, of whom I've only had for the past 3 years or so, was quite surprised, given my symptoms and many other indicators, along with a previous MRI, that it wasn't found until now. I have a few questions, if any folks have any input from personal experiences, I would appreciate it. Honestly, the diagnoses explains SO much. I AM a bit nervous, however, at least now I no longer feel like a hypochondriac.
My malformation is quite small (only about 1/4 inch), but a BIG trouble. I experience/have experienced nearly all of the symptomatic issues resulting from Chiari, many of them regularly. The worst, to me, has been the insane, on-fire burning between my shoulder blades and spine along with the sickening headaches. Lately, my sensation in my hands has been so poor that I pick things up and they fall right through my hands.

My questions involve the following:

1. What are the limitations, withOUT having surgery, that having Chiari puts on a person?

2. I've done a little bit of research, but haven't found much, on a link between hypoglycemic episodes and Chiari, because I've been having unexplained bouts. Does anyone else have this issue? What have you done for it?

3. What do you all do on a bad day, where you feel so tired or in pain that you can't function, to make it better?
breezyleigh

Re: Chiari I and Limitations

Postby princesk8 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 pm

To start off, welcome! I am sorry to hear about your troubles, many of here can relate. I am about the same age as you and have been dealing with symptoms since high school. Back then the doctor's blamed everything on scoliosis.

Has the doctor talked to you about trying any medicine for the nerve pain? I know it stinks having to rely
on drugs, but sometimes this can't be helped. This was the only thing that helped me get rid of the blinding
headaches and ease some of the pain.

Limitations, well the biggest one is not hitting your head, or being in a car wreck,as if we can all help that from happening ever! I've been told to stay away from roller coasters, any rides that are jarring, not supposed to lift anything that is over 10 lbs, the list goes on. Even excercising, if your body hurts, you may have to be careful with what you are doing. You just have to know what you can handle, everyone is different.

I too am hypoglycemic but not sure if it's due to Chiari, can't help with that questions, sorry. I just make sure I eat at regular intervals and have healhty snacks on hand at work and at home. If it's really bad, I drink a small glass of juice to level me out.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Chiari I and Limitations

Postby breezyleigh » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:55 pm

Thank you for your support, Princesk.

Please excuse my typing as I have a massive headache, but my nap kept getting interrupted LOL...doctor's office calls.

So, the EMG came back and, even after asking the second time (I was half asleep the first time and my memory just plain sucks, anyway), the results were something like this:

mild bilateral sensory polyneuropathy of the upper extremities

What exactly does that mean, other than my deduction that I apparently have nerve damage in both my arms and/or hands?

They scheduled me for another MRI of the brain next week and are having the pain management office phone me with an appointment there, as well.
breezyleigh

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders