conversion disorder diagnosis?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

conversion disorder diagnosis?

Postby Claudine » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:52 pm

Has anyone here ever been diagnosed with "conversion disorder"?
I know fibromyalgia is a diagnosis often given to people with a syrinx but about conversion disorder ?
C.
Claudine

Re: conversion disorder diagnosis?

Postby spinaltwitch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:25 pm

Yes I have heard that one. "It's a physical manifestation of the stress in your life". Unless you feel you are truly overstressed with everything I wouldn't buy it and would recommend a second opinion until you find someone who is willing to listen and not say that everything that you are experiencing is in your head.
spinaltwitch

Postby taichi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:39 pm

I have not been diagnosised with conversion disorder. I do have a problem with finding the words to speak and pronouncing them. I was concerned at my age(68) of dementia, so my NL sent me to a NL psychologist and I had numerous test and at this time it shows no dementia. He suggested taking me off Topamax. I am on a low dose, so I have not made that decison, due to it took me so long to find a med to help my migraines. This probably does not help much. Barbara There should be more responses.
taichi

Postby Beverley » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45 pm

I don't remember your CM/SM symptoms or story etc. and I am not sure how a conversion disorder is connected with Chiari/SM but I guess they could be connected. Most of the time a diagnosis of a conversion disorder is a fancy way of saying your symptoms are stress induced. Not that you are not having the symptoms but in a way you are so stressed out and that is what is causing your symptoms.

I am not a Doctor but I would seek a second and third opinion. Conversion disorder is also another way of giving a diagnosis when they cannot figure out what is causing your symptoms. I have Dopa Responsive Dystonia (DRD) to go along with my CM/SM and many people with Dystoina have been told it was a conversion disorder, psychogenic etc... before they are actually diagnosed correctly. So it can be a catch all too.

I would not start the other Doctors off with the information that I was diagnosed with a conversion disorder... What do you think?? I would go in there with the list of symptoms, and any other tests you have had done and let them whittle away at it and see what they come up with. You will need to find a really good Neurologist to get to the real bottom of the problem. There are people that truely do have conversion disorders but it is not all that common and in my opinion not common at all with CM/SM.

Good Luck I hope this helps.
Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby spinaltwitch » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:51 pm

Beverley wrote:I would not start the other Doctors off with the information that I was diagnosed with a conversion disorder... What do you think?? I would go in there with the list of symptoms, and any other tests you have had done and let them whittle away at it and see what they come up with. You will need to find a really good Neurologist to get to the real bottom of the problem. There are people that truely do have conversion disorders but it is not all that common and in my opinion not common at all with CM/SM.

^This. Also, try to avoid mentioning feeling stressed or overwhelmed. They seem to latch right onto that word and are quick to through out a psychological cause when a physical one isn't necessarily apparent. Keep a log of your symptoms and how they impact your life. Mine only started listening because I was having muscle spasms on the stairs. Keep pushing. Find someone to go with you too because it will help to have someone standing in your corner on this.
spinaltwitch

Postby smoovie0704 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:59 am

I have never heard this, but I just wanted mention that I do not have a syrinx, but have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia. This came after a cervical MRI outruling SM. My CM herniation is 9mm. Some meds have caused this problem for me but right now I am on nothing and cannot help what comes out of my mouth sometimes! Interesting though, I wonder how many of us should be diagnosed with it and aren't. Good luck.
Complex Migraine w/o Aura
CM 9mm
Fibromyalgia
smoovie0704

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:07 am

Conversion disorder is a waste-basket diagnosis given by quack doctors who won't admit they don't know the answer. There is a small group of teenage girls in the US who recently started experiencing neuropathic-like episodes. One doctor went on television and said they all have Conversion disorder. In essence, they're faking it, but he won't say so outright for fear of retribution. It's a diagnosis that was given to women over a hundred years ago (also known as hysteria). Many illnesses that women experienced were called Conversion disorder.
DX: SM (idiopathic), Crohn's disease, Graves' disease, gallstones, scoliosis, anemia
Meds: tramadol, Asacol, Cymbalta, Synthroid, fish oil supplement, multivitamin
Cyborg Ninja

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders