Ritalin to wake up?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Ritalin to wake up?

Postby princesk8 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:24 pm

I do not have AD/HD or anything like that. I've been telling my doctor how hard it is for me to get up in the morning when I have to go to work and he said that it would help wake me up, but I'm not so sure he really understands what I'm dealing
with. Does this seem normal to prescribe this kind of medicine b/c I'm tired in the am?
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Ritalin to wake up?

Postby medicpt » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:09 pm

This drug seems to have and opposite effect in adults who take it. Unlike hearing it prescribed for kids with ADHD for decreasing hyperactivity. Hope you have better luck getting moving in the AM. It is a real drag not feeling rested.
medicpt

Postby LANERS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:56 pm

Being a nurse I have seen it prescribed to patients with cancer suffering from fatigue. Ask your doctor if you are concerned.
SM C5-T11/ Disc Buldge C6-C7 / Mild Scoliosis
DX July 2009
LANERS

Postby princesk8 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:53 pm

Well it does not help me get up in the morning! By the time it starts to work I'm leaving for work and all it does is make my hyper. I don't get up any faster, even if I take it as soon as the alarm goes off....this is frustrating. Just wanted to let you know in case anyone else is having this same problem.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Postby pseudotumor » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:03 am

I've been prescribed it for this reason too. It just made me feel like I was having a heart attack.
pseudotumor

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders