legs collapsed

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

legs collapsed

Postby LANERS » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Has anyone's legs ever collapsed? Mine did trying to get out of bed this morning. I pulled my self back in bed then tried again. They gave out twice before I was able to stand and walk
Very scary.
SM C5-T11/ Disc Buldge C6-C7 / Mild Scoliosis
DX July 2009
LANERS

Re: legs collapsed

Postby jjames » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:06 pm

Mine have been very weak, and have "given away" but I have always been able to catch myself. I believe that in myself, personally, it is due to a possible tethered cord and the complications with my syrinx. Both can cause muscle weakness.
~Everything is always ok in the end. If it's not, then it isn't the end.~

JJames
ACM/SM
1998 Decompression; 2007 PFR @ TCI
Syrinx C1-T10
Mild Scoliosis
Mom to two wonderful sons!
jjames

Postby Syrinx810 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:21 pm

Yes, legs very weak. Stairs and uneven ground it's very hard to keep balance. Just got knee injected today for 4 time in few years. I can be standing in line and almost fall, usually knee fills with fluid and sore for weeks until heals and starts all over again. I have lower back issues too, but knee dr said back can cause weakness in legs, but I also have cervical syrinx that dr doesnt think is causing any issues. They did give me some low impact leg stretches and exercises. I am very exercise intolerance but I will give it a try.
Syrinx810

Postby karenb » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:24 pm

My legs give out frequently. That was actually what finally led my Neurologist to diagnose SM and have me use a walker instead of a cane.

Once I started using the walker, I realized that I was and had been collapsing some 40-50 times a day - I was just so used to catching myself on my cane and the furniture that I never really noticed it.

I've been receiving treatment for 4-1/2 years now, and physical therapy for much of that time. The collapsing got better after PT worked on my core muscles, but some of it is simply due to the syrinx.

Hope this helps...

Karen
karenb

Postby wildfyr » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:07 pm

Good evening, My legs have been collapsing for a few years now. I fall frequently. I also have foot drop which is when your toes drop forward when you walk so you trip over things. My walker helps that alot. I am supposed to wear leg braces to hold my feet up but I have alot of silly pride that keeps me from wearing them. Also they hurt my legs. Good luck to everyone this spring. I hope it is a good year for everyone. Che'ri
sm T-4 thru T11,3 hemangiomas T11&T12, scoliosis, in respiratory failure Jan: 2010 now terminal, Voice effected, ., being put on portable ventilator and soon a feeding tube due to aspirating into my lungs. December, 2010, colostomy pending
wildfyr

Postby LANERS » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:28 am

Luckily, my legs have not collapsed since that one day. I am thinking they were weak from exhaustion. I used them way more than I have in the last 3 years since being diagnosed with SM. I Hope it never happens again. I appreciate your support and responses.
:)
SM C5-T11/ Disc Buldge C6-C7 / Mild Scoliosis
DX July 2009
LANERS

Postby pseudotumor » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:36 pm

This happens to me too and I'm pretty sure it's medication related. Anticonvulsants, Diuretics, Narcotics, Muscle Relaxers .etc can all cause this.
pseudotumor

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders