Stress, psychosomatic symptoms, conversion disorder...

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Stress, psychosomatic symptoms, conversion disorder...

Postby Gill » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:25 am

You know all those incredibly unpleasant bits and pieces that are wrong with you, and the neurologist or the GP thinks you're making it up?

Consider the possibility of Ehler Danlos Syndrome or Hypermobility Syndrome (probably variations of the same thing). Go to this website and download their free pdf: http://www.ednf.org/index.php?option=co ... d=88889120

This condition - an inherited connective tissue disorder - can lead to acquired Chiari malformation (because tissue just sort of sags). It's associated with many aches, pains and sprains, fatigue, back ache, headaches, IBS, bladder problems, dizziness, clumsiness, poor proprioception (position sense), easy bruising, poor healing of cuts... It can have an autonomic component, leading to more serious cardiovascular problems. It's often called Joint Hypermobility Syndrome, but this is misleading. You can have this and just have one or two slightly bendy joints that you've never noticed.

In my case, this was spotted by the neurologist who told me two years ago that most of what I reported to him was 'real to me' but psychosomatic. A couple of months ago, when I saw him and asked about a connection between tachycardia and syringomyelia, something clicked for him. He suggested Hypermobility Syndrome, I followed up, and I was diagnosed with Ehler Danlos Syndrome Type III this morning.

It's another obscure lifelong condition to add to the one I've already got, and it's not really treatable other than physiotherapy, being sensible, and pain management if things get bad. But, hey, no doctor can get away with the stress c**p again.

Gill
Gill

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders