Rhyzotomy

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Rhyzotomy

Postby tskor » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:43 am

Has anyone had a rhyzotomy for pain relief? I am scheduled for one on March 28th and was wondering how long the pain relief will last.

Thanks, Terri
CM 13 mm, surgery Oct 2010
tskor

Re: Rhyzotomy

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:24 pm

Hi Terri,

I have had several rhyzotomies, not only for my Syringomyelia, but also for my herniated disks at Th7/Th8. While à disk herniation in the thorax is rather rare, my NS wanted to know if the pain I had was from the syrinx,or from the herniated disks. It helped a bit, but not sufficiënt. I don"t remember how long it lasted, I think 2 or 3 month. Then they repeated the procedure. As it was not long lasting, and the risks of getting it in the thorax, I was put on ketamine. I had to go to Hospital for 5 days, getting this per IV. That also stopped as it didn't work long enough.

I would say, nobody is the same. It is very good possible that it will help you against your pain. THE moment when they do the procedure in not pleasant and hurts. That is that they have to find THE right nerve. After that you have to keep in mind you are not allowed to drive. The next week you have to be carefull and take it easy. Good luck, I hope it will help you!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders