Just diagnosed and new to all this.

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Just diagnosed and new to all this.

Postby Frannie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:10 am

Hello all,
Well I am newly diagnosed as having a Chiari 1 Malformation 12-13mm. It was an accidental find, following on from me being diagnosed with a Brain Tumor (meningioma) in October last year.
What a journey I have been on since then, having a craniotomy to remove 90% of the tumour.
I went to the Dr with episodes of blankness, forgetting what I was talking about and lastly not being able to understand a text message.After a CT and MRI I was diagnosed with a 37mmx32mmx27mm brain tumor. Headaches have been a constant part of my life since I was a teenager (now 46) being diagnosed first with stress headaches then migraines. Over the last few years I have woken with a headache based at the base of my skull on a daily basis. I have learned to live with these, both with and without medication. These have gone since surgery, only to be replaced with the most debilitating, nauseas headaches I have ever experienced.I am starting to learn what brings them on, but haven't figured it all yet. The pressure in my head starts first and within half an hour I am in bed having taken codeine tablets to try and ease the pain. Unlike a migraine, I find that when they are gone they are gone, their is no residual.
I also suffer, and have for as long as I can remember immense pain in my head when I strain on the toilet, yell at the football, cough severly, laugh hard etc. I honestly thought that everyone had this!
I have also experienced muscle weakness in my right hand, to the point I am unable to hold a pen or write for a short amount of time.
I have always experienced problems with temperature control, and at the moment am trying to deal with unbelievable sweats and hot flushes. Is this normal?
So as you can see I am in a bit of a quandry. Obviously my brain tumour has taken the spotlight and all the attention has been focused on it. My Neurosurgeon has ordered a full brain and full spine MRI at my next appointment to get a full pic of everything.
Any suggestions, words of wisdom or symptoms to look out for would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you so much
Frannie
Frannie

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders