Overcoming Daily Pain

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Re: Overcoming Daily Pain

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:34 pm

SCS is what has worked best for me. Thank goodness, as it's the last resort.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby JeffinMI77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:53 pm

I wanted to update my med list. I've been on extended release morphine since Saturday. Don't get stuck on the name, it's not that strong. It's been amazing so far and i'm taking way less Norco (hydrocodone). It's exactly what I needed. Something that would last.
syrinx x2 T7-T8 to T9, and T11-T12 to T12-L1...also bulging disc at T4-T5, T6-T7, and T8-T9.
JeffinMI77

Postby gunflint » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 am

What's the name of the extended release morphine? I'd like to look it up. Thanks.
gunflint

Postby karenb » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Hi all...

Figured I'd give my two-cents' worth... For me, Physical Therapy has been both good and bad... I've had several PTs (especially pre-diagnosis) who were just nuts - threw the same thing at me that they used with everyone else, and then just told me I was making it up. I've had several good PTs out here - the biggest thing has been that they understand we're essentially dealing with a Spinal Cord Injury, and then they seem to get it, more or less.

My last experience was after long-term use of my wheelchair caused some of the stabilizing muscles in my back to become so weak that they no longer held my Sacro-Iliac joint in alignment. That was causing a tremendous amount of pain, and PT targeting those muscles was really helpful, both for better mobility and also for decreasing pain.

I also really enjoy work in a therapeautic pool - around 92 degrees - because it eases my pain so much and helps me retain muscle strength and tone. I have to work in a Physical Therapy setting, since being in the water disrupts my CSF flows and, thus, tends to trigger myoclonus, but I really find it to be one of the most pleasant times of my week.

Karen
karenb

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:24 am

Karen,

So you've worked with regular physical therapy as well as manual physical therapy? I'm supposed to start manual PT soon and the guy I'm seeing is right out of my physiatrist's office. I hope to god it works some with the bulged discs in my neck because if it doesn't, both my neurologist and neurosurgeon said that I will have to seriously consider the surgey to alleviate the pain. If only I could get these bulged discs taken care of!!
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Previous

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders