Cleveland Clinic question

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cleveland Clinic question

Postby twins617 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm

I have a very important question. My CM1 has come back worse than ever. I want the best doctor possible to look thru my MRIs & paperwork & if necessary, do my surgery. Has anyone been to the Cleveland Clinic to have their CM done? I am having very serious problems & desperate need ya'lls help, please. I have a doctor here that has told me that the Chiari is causing my problems. Thank you very, very much. Love U all. Take care. Vickie
twins617

Re: Cleveland Clinic question

Postby DEN » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:00 pm

While I have no actual experience with CC and CM, I can tell you that among the health care world, CC is a very good place and have an excellent staff.

I know that this information does not help, but you are going in the right direction with CC.

I am sure others with actual experience will chim in.

Good luck,
Supporter of a loved one with SM.
DEN

Postby jessica » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:23 pm

I did not have my surgery there but I did see Dr. Benzel at the Cleveland Clinic. I'm military and was being seen by a military neurosurgeon and my family wanted me to get a second opinion before going forward with surgery. My mother has a close friend who used to work for the Cleveland Clinic and she did the research to find out who the best was supposed to be. She came up with Dr. Benzel.

He is very conservative about surgery, so when he told me that he agreed with my military doc that I should go ahead I pretty much knew I was making the right decision. Even though he knew I was really only there for a second opinion he and his staff gave me a very thorough exam and answered all of my questions. I would have been comfortable getting the surgery done there.

Unfortunately he's supposed to be really hard to get an appointment with (I only got one because of my mom's friend).
17mm CM; PFD, C1 Laminectomy, and Duraplasty on 23 Aug 10.
jessica

Postby twins617 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:07 am

Jessica, if U don't mind, could U please tell me where U had your surgery? I need a good Chiari very bad. This will be my second surgery. My symptoms are alot worse than they were when I had my first surgery, which was in Nashville, TN. We can go where ever as long as they have a contract or take BCBS insurance. I am really suffering. My last MRI wasn't good at all & my MD told me I really needed the surgery again, that something has gone wrong. I have been dizzy/off balanced for 6 weeks now & have fallen several times, plus all the other symptoms. If you can help me, I would be so greatly appreciated.
Thank you & God Bless,
Vickie
twins617

Postby toport20 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:56 pm

I respect everyone's opinion here, but just my 2 cents. I was told "nothing" was wrong with me when I went to CC. I have now been through TCS and decompression surgery and have found that I have arachnoiditis. If I would have followed his advice and not looked for another doc, I would be in misery. Not trying to put him down, just my experience.
Pre OP:
SM 3mm C3-L1
Tonsillar Herniation 5mm due to TCS
TCS Surgery TCI 6-6-08
ICT 6-7-08

Post OP: 2011-MRI
CM 8mm
SM C2-C6 9mm

PFD done in May 2012
Arachnoiditis found
toport20

Postby jessica » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:24 pm

Vickie,

I ended up having mine done at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. I don't think they take outside insurance, although I've heard of civilians getting treated at the burn unit there so I'm not 100% positive.

Jessica
17mm CM; PFD, C1 Laminectomy, and Duraplasty on 23 Aug 10.
jessica

Re: What about the Wisconsin Center?

Postby twins617 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Dear friends, I'm getting all my paper work together & was wondering about the the Wisconsin Center. All they do is Chiari. I'm sorry for asking about all these places, but I want to get the best since the one I had in TN wasn't so good. I'm sure it was the doctor but this center does alot of testing before they go in there. I want you to know much you mean to me cause I know you are going thru the same. Best of luck. Vickie
twins617

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders