Syrinx and Scoliosis??

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Syrinx and Scoliosis??

Postby kates777 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:31 pm

Has anyone had experience with scoliosis? I had decompression surgery in May 2011 and have been feeling pretty good, but I have started to loose my breath while talking. I also have a rib "hump" on the front right side of my chest that aches at times. In some of the research I have done, I found that scoliosis and Syringomyelia are often found together. My 6 month post op MRI showed my syrinx hadn't diminished, so now I am wondering if I might have scoliosis too. I am reluctant to start the whole process again, as I believe I would need to see an Ortho doctor for Scoliosis. I have an appointment with my primary care doctor and will go from there. Any thoughts/ suggestions/ input would be great!
kates777

Re: Syrinx and Scoliosis??

Postby drummergrl » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:18 am

I was diagnosed with and treated for scoliosis for 8 years before my CM/SM diagnoses. I was told that my Chiari caused the syringomyelia, and the resulting syrinx caused my scoliosis. I was decompressed in 2006 and fused for scoliosis in 2008, only after wearing back braces (I was still growing) for nearly the decade prior.

Scoliosis isn't hard to see on imaging, so an x-ray will likely be enough to diagnosis or not. I was followed by an orthopedic surgeon during my treatment but after my CM/SM was found the neurosurgeon and ortho surgeon decided my treatment plan together. The potential exists that you could have scoliosis independent of SM, but I was told in my case that they were inter-dependent.

Best of luck!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

Re: Syrinx and Scoliosis??

Postby karenb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:37 pm

Kate,

I was diagnosed with scoliosis following a head-on car crash when I was 28. At that point, the doctors' attitude was "you'll have trouble breathing when you get older, but it's no big deal."

The first signs of SM occurred when I was 33 - meaning I had my first bone dislocation. I wasn't diagnosed with SM until 10 years later, when I was 43 - 15 years after I was dx'd with scoliosis, and 20 years ago.

My physiatrist compared X-Rays at my last appointment, and the good news is that I've had no change in the last 20 years or so - my degree of curvature is still about 15 degrees. I don't have any unusual problems breathing (except during hay-fever season!).

What we don't know is what impact my scoliosis has on my syringomyelia - they're both in the same region of my spine (T6-T9), and the bend in the curvature is on the same side (left) as my worst symptoms. My left hip is higher than my right, my left shoulder is lower than the right, my limp (when I can walk) favors my left leg, and I get stabbing pains in my left shoulder-blade.

Nobody can tell me what, if anything, this means for the long-term prognosis. At this stage, it's another data point.

I wish you all the best!

Karen
karenb

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders