Severe numbness

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Severe numbness

Postby TabulaRasa » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:01 pm

The numbness is driving me insane!! I'll lay in my bed reading and not even a minute later my right forearm will be completely numb. I'm finding the certain knuckles on both hands are numb as well. If I do too much clerical work both arms go numb up to my shoulders. And on long car rides my left foot up to my shin will be numb.

I'm meeting with my neurosurgeon on the 6th but has anyone else had severe issues with numbness?
Diagnosed with CM 1mm herniation June 12th, 2012
TabulaRasa

Re: Severe numbness

Postby gunflint » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:22 pm

Yes numbness is very common in a disorder that's known for many different symptoms.
gunflint

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:44 pm

Is the numbness a tingling feeling, or a complete loss of sensation?
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby TabulaRasa » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:07 am

Complete loss of sensation
TabulaRasa

Postby tennesseewalker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:29 pm

Before I had my left carpal tunnel released, my middle finger felt dead. I had movement, but no sensation at all. The pointer and ring fingers were tingling and painful. After the release, all three returned to normal.

Tell your doc you have complete loss of sensation and hopefully he will order a nerve conduction study. The study will indicate which nerves are affected, even if it's the spinal nerves. If it is carpal tunnel, surgery will help.

Fingers crossed for you.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Postby TabulaRasa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm

See I've had an EMG done and it didn't show anything. And carpal tunnel doesn't explain why my feet will go numb too. My neurosurgeon is having me repeat a cervical and thoracic MRI and a flow study to look to see if a syrinx has formed.

I'm extremely frustrated by all this.
TabulaRasa

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders