Does a thoracic herniation hurts

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Does a thoracic herniation hurts

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:14 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope that someone will read my post.

It all started with a herniated disk at C5/C6. I was very much in pain, and got treated by a Manuel therapist. When my pains didn't go away, an MRI was taken. The herniation was clearly to be seen, but also my syrinx, at that time from T2/T6.

Every NS told us, there wasn't a blockage there, until I came in Germany and I got a Cine MRI. There was a blockage clearly to be seen, but it wasn't the cause of my syrinx. I got an operation but the pain was still there. So was the syrinx, it didn't collapse, instead it grew from C4 - until conus of the spinal cord

Since a couple of years I am having a thoracic herniation at T6/T7. Since that I am having this, my pain levels increased. Also my problems with other issues like my bladder started acting up and started having a over active neurogenic bladder. The disk herniation is growing steadily.

In the meantime my NS don't want to operate on the herniated disk for it is too dangerous and it is at a nasty spot. They are hoping the herniation will get smaller, as some herniated disks sometimes tends to do.
Not this one, this one is gradually growing. On the MRI is still some csf to see, so there is not yet a blockage. There is no compression into the cord to be seen.

According to my NS it is impossible that I am having pain from this thoracic herniation. I can only tell when something's wrong when I can't walk anymore, ore can' go to the bathroom etc. At that point will be an indication for an operation. I am sure I am having pain from it. I can't only force him to believe me!
Therefor my question, does someone have a thoracic herniation and also is in pain from it, besides the SM, which runs by me from C4 down to conus. At the widest between T1/T8.

Annemarie
syrinx48

Re: Does a thoracic herniation hurts

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:32 am

Hi,

21 views, no replies...... I feel a bit disappointed. I waited so long to post the question......

No one out here has a problem like me?

Annemarie.
syrinx48

Postby Graybo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:51 am

Hi Annemarie

Just came in to say hello, seeing as you posted and got no reply.

Only thing I've come across for thoracic is the 'Thoracic outlet syndrome'. http://www.blinkx.com/watch-video/tos-t ... g7TPiUBTcw

I seem to have got my SM symptoms down to a minimum now, with pain mostly in the area of the back of my neck down to between my shoulders, and some of that pain is caused by the stretching exercises I keep doing. In my case, I am almost positive the SM symptoms are caused by my muscles rather than the syrinx. I have improved so much this year and I still hope to get rid of the SM, which I think will happen when the muscles are repaired and released.

GP
Graybo

Postby reedy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:26 am

Hi Annemarie.
I was very sad to see in your post that you are suffering. I hesitated to reply, as I don't have any insights that might help you. But my thoughts are with you.
reedy

Postby syrinx48 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:09 am

Thank you GP and Reedy for your responses! I know it is a difficult question.

@GP, thank you for the very interesting link, but my NS told me I have a thoracic herniation. You can see it also clearly on the MRI. So no TOS.if I am able I will try and put the picture of the herniated disk here on the board, so you can see it.

@Reedy, thank you for your compassion. The same of course for GP. It does someone good to hear something from someone who cares, even if there is no answer.

Annemarie
Last edited by syrinx48 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
syrinx48

Postby razzle » Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:01 pm

There are a lot of readers only on this forum a lot .....
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby Graybo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:01 am

Annemarie

I was thinking a bit more about the thoracic thing. I have a muscle knot or whatever you want to call, it at about T5 if I remember right. Had it since just after I injured my lower back in 1985. I remember being told that it was 'just a muscle knot' and nothing to worry about, but it did cause pain for a long time and occassionally now. What I have found out more recently is the muscles can cause big problems and not just where you expect them to be. Seems like a muscle can affect areas far away from the damaged area. what I am trying tyo say is, I wonder if you have muscle tension somewhere else that is causing the herniation.

Found another site about thoracic outlet syndrome - http://www.dynamicchiropractic.com/mpac ... p?id=56568

The way I understand it, there is less chance of damaging the thoracic discs because the thoracic area is where the ribs are, and the ribs protect the area somewhat by restricting movement. Having read quite a bit on trigger points etc, you can see why the thoracic outlet is a weak point and can cause many symptoms if there is inflammation in the area, such as heart attack pain, which I was in hospital with in 1998, even though my heart is fine. As usual the drs told me there was nothing wrong with my heart and they couldn't do anything - typical.

The muscles I suspect the most in my neck are the scalenes and the sternocleidomastoid and several others. If you watch a video of the scalenes you can see that they are a group of 3 muscles that attach in various places to all the cervical joints at the top and the first and second ribs at the other end - this cartoon video shows you were they attach - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MjQCDHCwd4 . They can cause breathing problems by affecting the rib movement when trying to get a full breath and trap the nerves in the thoracic outlet etc.

I also thought about the breast cancer possibility you mentioned. I still think the best cancer treatment will be Rick Simpson oil, or there is the bicabonate of soda my sister-in-law used to get rid of her cancer. Most of what I have read on cancer points to an acid condition in your body, as cancer cells cannot survive in an alkaline oxygen rich environment.
Graybo

Postby reedy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:06 am

If you want to explore alternatives to the more common cancer treatments, read these blogposts from a biologist with serious breast and liver cancer who has become very active in finding new approaches to treatment, along with her international team of doctors:
http://bioblog.biotunes.org/bioblog/category/health/

It is all evidence-based, with supporting information in the peer-reviewed, published literature.
reedy

Postby syrinx48 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:40 am

Hi GP and Reedy,

Thank you both again for your interesting links!
Luckely I am of the hook. New test showed that it was over projected tissue. An ultrasound confirmed it. I have to come back in half a year, and when I am still clear I will be going back to the normal screening of once in two years!

Annemarie
syrinx48

Postby reedy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 am

That is a huge relief!
Upwards and onwards!
reedy

Postby Andrea » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:33 pm

What great news. It's so relieving once getting to the yearly follow ups. Hope you are feeling well
Andrea

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders