Let's bring the forum back to life

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Let's bring the forum back to life

Postby pmaxwell » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:52 am

I don't understand why no one is posting to the message board. I thought this was a viable source of support for a number of people but I am not seeing any activity. Are forums a thing of the past?
Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: New post

Postby reedy » Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:40 am

Hi Patricia
Forums in general are taking a hit from Facebook. I don't really understand why, as I think well-organised and lightly moderated forums are a MUCH better way of discussing topics than the rambling chaos of FB. I like FB for a chat over the virtual garden fence about inconsequential, short-lifespan topics. But for something like a shared serious medical condition, a forum is much,much better.

If a forum goes down, however, you lose a lot of users. Even a few hours or days down, and many people don't come back. This one has been down for a long time, so I think it will take a while to come up again. The only way it will come up is with some advertising on FB. When someone posts a question on FB, it'd be a good idea to post a link to a thread on here. So if those of us still on here want more people to talk to, I guess we should swallow our pride, conquer our fear and post some links to ASAP on FB. (I've seen these problems and solutions in a community forum I visit regularly).

In addition, it would help if there was a little bit more organisation and better titling on the posts. This thread is a case in point! If someone accidentally or unknowingly just posts with a title of 'ouch' or 'new post', but they really mean 'surgery on C4-C5' or 'how to bring the forum back to life' then the moderator should have the right to expand the title. Otherwise the forum is no different from FB, but without the advantages of easy links.

That's my 2-cents....anyone else have an opinion?
reedy

Re: Let's bring the forum back to life

Postby pmaxwell » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:46 am

Great idea. As you can see I changed the little to better fit the post. So spread the word. Let your friends know the ASAP community is alive and ready to make a difference.

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Let's bring the forum back to life

Postby razzle » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:48 am

There are a lot of just readers on this board . I advertise on asap FB page all the time
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders