complaint of "dizzy" eyes

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

complaint of "dizzy" eyes

Postby medicpt » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:31 pm

I hope you Chiarians can help me. My dtr has Chiari, she is 6 and had her PFD in Sept 2010. She is doing very well overall. However, she has recently started complaining that at times her eyes feel "dizzy" I have taken her to an opthamologist who specializes in kids with Chiari. From his perspective she looks well. No damage to the optic nerve, nor evidence of increased intercranial pressure. His only thought was that she is suffering from eye fatigue and recommended initially trying over-the-counter reading glasses for her reading/screen time activities. However, she seems to still have this complaint at times when she is not concentrating for periods of time. My question is, do any of you have this complaint and can you describe it a bit better than maybe what I am getting from a 6yo so that I can better understand her complaint? Also, is it related to any other symptoms/difficulties with your Chiari that I should be concerned about? Is there anything you do to relieve the symptom? I just feel at a bit of a loss to help her. She rarely complains of headache but says at times her head hurts with this complaint. Thanks for your help.
medicpt

Re: complaint of "dizzy" eyes

Postby tink2004 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:31 am

Hi. I don't have chiari that I know of, recently dxed with sm (well drs knew about it in 2010, I found out in sept this yr) and I get the same thing I also suffer from migraines. I just try to close my eyes tight then focus on one non-moving thing. I sometimes lose my balance as well. I don't know what its from but just wanted to let you know she's not alone. I wish all the best to you and your family.
tink2004

Postby gunflint » Mon Dec 23, 2013 12:07 pm

Nobody will connect a similar problem I had after PFD surgery however within a year of surgery I was seeing double looking at small objects that were any distance away. I was diagnosed with astigmatism but it sure popped up very quickly after surgery. I now wear glasses for the first time in my life and they do help.
gunflint

Postby medicpt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:11 pm

Thanks Tink and Gunflint. I know that she is probably in good company with this symptom. I hope that it is just eye fatigue. The Dr. said that if the reading glasses do help her complaint that we will get her prescriptive bifocals to help her.
medicpt

Postby Graybo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:07 am

My first thought when I read your post is it might be caused by aspartame or other sweeteners used in many food and drink items. Everyone should research aspartame - it is a known neuro-toxin. When aspartame gets up to body temperature it turns to formic acid, methanol and formaldehyde. Formic acid is the poison from fire ants I believe, Methanol is wood alcohol that can cause blindness, and formaldehyde is used to preserve dead bodies - great stuff ay?

Search for the patent and you will see that aspartame is made from genetically modified ecoli bacteria sludge. I get pain in my eye and dizziness if I accidently drink something with it after a very short time. When your daughter feels her dizzy eyes find out what she just ate and drank and check the label for sweetener. Have a read down this page and see what you think - http://www.i-see.org/nutra.html . It is dangerous stuff and I don't know why people ignore the warnings and continue to use it. It's an excito-toxin, it excites the brain cells to death, and causes brain tumours and much more.

My second thought is muscle tension as I have talked about on here causing other SM symptoms. Search for 'Better eyesight without glasses' by WH Bates. He knew about muscle tension in the eyes causing problems in the late 1800's and repaired his own poor sight and the eyesight of the kids he taught. I got his book years ago but I could never get the muscles to relax. More recently I have noticed improvements in my eyesight along with the other muscles that I have been working on to reduce the SM symptoms. Hoping to get rid of all my SM symptoms very soon. Hope this helps
Last edited by Graybo on Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graybo

Postby Graybo » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:12 am

Here's a paragraph from that link in the post above

Quote - Dr. James Bowen, in a statement to the FDA:
Every known metabolite of aspartame is of marked or questionable toxicity and patently unsafe for human use. Methyl alcohol is metabolized to nascent formaldehyde in the eye, nervous system and other metabolically active organs. It immediately attacks and denatures the tissue structure proteins in which it is metabolized to nascent formaldehyde. This stimulates specific organ and subcellular autoimmunity which seems to be a preponderant source of the bad experiences reported by NutraSweet victims. Aspartic acid is a neuroexcitotoxin present in damaging amounts in its own right, at the ADI for aspartame. Simple logic tells one that it will vastly increase the metabolism of methyl alcohol to formaldehyde in the desinosomes of the periventricular cells of the central nervous system, thus focusing the nascent formaldehyde attack there. This corresponds well with the symptomatologies often experienced, such as Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS), bulbar palsies, neurohormonal disorders, etc. Also visual disturbances, heart palpitations, infertility and fetal loss may be traced to aspartame ingestion. The diketopiperazine issue remains totally unresolved and dangerous. The amino acids that are released by hydrolysis, from eimers and isomers that are either not sufficiently studied, or which are known substrates in undesirable pathological states such as Alzheimer's disease....
Graybo

Postby taichi » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:51 am

I have about the same problem, words run together and the telephone book is a joke to read. The physician that did my cataract surgery said the vessels behind my eyes were not getting enough circulation. The muscles in my chest are weak and I am always short of breath.

Barbara
taichi

Postby taichi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:48 pm

I have been back to the ophthalmologist and I have dry eye syndrome. This can make you have blurred vision. I will use restasis for a year. I am assuming this will take of it. This reminds me not to take for granite that everything is caused by sm.

Barbara
taichi

Postby tennesseewalker » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:11 pm

Ask her to draw you a picture of what she sees.
Mary
Genetic CM/SM (me, my son, my twin sister and both of her daughters), RSD of right arm.
tennesseewalker

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders