Who has SM and 'unrelated' brain fog?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Who has SM and 'unrelated' brain fog?

Postby specialmomx2 » Sun May 27, 2007 2:35 pm

I am curious to know this because I was always told that my brain fog and fatigue -which were my worst symptoms- were totally unrelated to my SM. I was told this by the best. TCI performed an invasive traction on me to see no improvement in cognitive function.

The brain runs on sugar. As you know, I just found out that I am hypoglycemic (low blood sugar), so my poor brain has been starving for several years -hence brain fog. I have been trying to find a diet which will work to keep my blood sugar at a steady level. On the days that I get it right; it is awesome! I feel almost like the 'old" me again.

So I was wondering if this is not a coincidence? I was wondering if any of my other SM pals also has a blood sugar problem?

Would anybody be interested in taking part in a little internet experiment (wth your doctors blessing, of course) to see if dietary modifications to regulate blood sugar will help your brain fog?

The modifications I am talking about are not horrible or bad for you: cut out all sugar, white flour/ white rice/ potatoes, caffeine and alcohol. Eat only whole grains and eat 6 small meals per day instead of 3 big ones.

Let me know if you are interested.

-Paula
specialmomx2

Postby cash71 » Sun May 27, 2007 3:55 pm

Paula,

I was on a diet similiar to that about 2 years ago for chronic hives. Except my diet was even more restrictive. I couldn't have all the things you mentioned as well as no dairy, soy or cured meats.

I did feel really good on it, lost weight, had more energy but didnt notice cognitive changes.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Brain fog

Postby LFRM » Tue May 29, 2007 11:48 am

Paula,

Just on Sunday I was complaing about chronic fatigue.

While looking for a natural remedy that Caroline recommened at the web, which I found and bought, I also found an amazing article about chronic fatigue. The problem is that it is in spanish, it is from Spain from the Biology Institute.

Basically what this doctor says is that chornic fatigue which comes with sugar problems is due to copper concentration at the liver because the balance between zinc and copper at the body have changed. As the proper balance is 1 particle of copper for 8 of zinc. So this Spanish doctor recommends a diet to clean up the liver from the copper concentration. He recommends not to eat sugar, more proteins and consume a lot of vitamin C, zinc plus B6 and B2 which expell de coppert from the liver.

He also says that while being on his diet there could be some complications as rash and nausea as a consequence of liver purification as the copper go out in to the blood stream. So at Sunday I was so desesperated that I went to GNC and bought all of these and drank them all in one piece, as they are vitamins. At night I have a terrible rash, do not sleep all night, but I feel great!!!. So I continue to take it and I still feel great. Even the worst pain symptoms of siringomelia disminished!!!

I was incredible, I feel great as never before and I am still feeling like that!!

I am in hurry know as I have to go to Guateamala but if you are interested I will be posting the whole information next week. I have been in this new alternative method for 3 days, but I feel great!!! I hope it last.

If you want to visit the web page it is:

http://www.institutobiologico.com/semin ... ronica.htm

I hope it serves.

Laura
SM t2-t7
LFRM

Postby Snoozie » Tue May 29, 2007 7:37 pm

The website is in Spanish and since my last Spanish class was before I got hurt I remember none of it...ok well a little but not enough to know what I was reading. Is there anyway to interpret it? ...Sue

PS- I did just go to the vitamin store to buy some vitamins. DOes anybody here take Sam-e? I was looking at it but didn't get it. I eneded up getting a joint complex formula and some multis. Plus my methyl B12 of course. ...Sue
Snoozie

Postby RoadGlideMama » Thu May 31, 2007 8:42 pm

I fought against hypoglycemia for years. Now if I have 1-2 episodes PER YEAR, I think I have it licked.

Protein, protein, protein. It stabilizes the blood sugar. I've also found that caffeine can greatly and quickly affect blood sugar.

Here's my diet:
I get up at ~7am and to work by 8am.
Get cup of coffee and eat Kashi bar.
Another hour, have one cup of coffee.
I walk at 10am. (can you tell i'm an office worker/paper pusher?)
I drink a can of diet pop and have a low-fat yogurt.
Sometimes still need something more than yogurt and have a few handfuls of almonds.
Lunch: I eat out but not fast food. Always have something with eggs, bacon, tuna or turkey.
Water: I drink it from lunchtime on. A can of diet pop, maybe once a week in the afternoon.
Dinner 6-7pm: egg salad sandwich or something with high protein.

I haven't cut out carbs, I only include good carbs in my diet, i.e. WHOLE GRAINS. whole grains also add protein.

My co-worker and her daughter were discussing one day about how she eats and an hour later she's famished and light-headed, etc. I told her it was hypoglycemia. She tried the protein, good carb diet and hasn't had an episode since!!!
RoadGlideMama

Postby lisa40 » Thu May 31, 2007 9:05 pm

I will try anything if i willhelp with the pain and numbness.
lisa40

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders