Spinal fluid leak

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Spinal fluid leak

Postby Debster » Tue May 29, 2007 11:57 pm

My ear doctor (otologist) told me today that people with just ACM don't have CSF leaks.

I have been having these feelings of liquid running down the tube in my ear. It lasts for about 10-30 seconds at different intervals.

She said it can't be CSF leaks because they don't happen in people with ACM.

I thought I heard about people on this board with ACM having leaks. Can anyone enlighten me?

Deb
Debster

Postby melanie » Wed May 30, 2007 9:47 am

hi,
your doctor is so wrong,I went thru 4 decompression surgeries to stop leaks from my dura sak,that showed thru with a large lump of fluid on the back of my skull.still to this day ,I have times when it feels like the back of head is wet,but its not and have other things that occur to make me wonder if it isnt csf fluid .I have acm and sm
melanie

Postby donbr » Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 am

Hello yes you can have csf leaks with acm without sm. if csf leaks will cause acm (aquired acm) you can most definatly have leaks with or without sm. your Dr is wrong.
Don
donbr

dr

Postby razzle51 » Thu May 31, 2007 5:17 am

If your ear Dr. said it wasnt a leak , then what did she say it was .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Debster » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:40 pm

Hi Razzle,

The ear doctor said that she doesn't believe the feeling of the liquid running down my ear to actually be liquid. She said she thinks it is an aggravated nerve from my jaw causing the feelings.

This is what brought my initial question on: When I was volunteering at my sons school, I helped another woman lift a folding table and carry it about 200 feet.

While carrying the table I started to feel quite a bit of pressure in my right ear. (One that I have had problems with for the past 5-6 years)

The pressure continued for about 2 hours, until I felt like something had broke loose inside, and was then followed by the feeling of hot liquid running in the tube of my ear. Since I was diagnosed with ACM-1 in February of this year, I was wondering if it could be CSF fluid.

When I questioned the ear doc, she said CSF leaks don't happen in ACM-1
and if I had a CSF leak it would be coming out of my nose and mouth.

Her recommendation was that I go see a special dentist and get fitted for a night guard. I failed to see her reasoning since I do not have extraordinary wear on my teeth from grinding, I have no jaw pain, nor do I have TMJ. I also fail to see how carrying a table could aggravate a nerve in my jaw.

Since I do not see a correlation between lifting and carrying a table and a problem with my ear, it made me question her comment about CSF leaks. To be honest, I really know nothing about CSF leaks, and don't necessarily think I have one, but with all the weird other unexplained symptoms I have, I don't think I would rule it out either.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Deb
Debster

Postby prism » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:36 am

Hi, I often have unexplained fluids in mouth, nose, eyes. My ears bother me a great deal too, but not with fluid. Are there dangers in having a csf leak? And are there ways to know if the fluid is that or not? :?
Can anyone explain why this leakage would happen?
I will not see anyone for chiari and syringomelia until august and don't want to cause any more damage if I can help it- as functioning is already a challenge.
thanks. :wink: prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders