2nd decompression?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

2nd decompression?

Postby jjames » Wed May 30, 2007 11:11 am

Hi all - I dropped off the face of the earth for a while, but I am back! I had my baby- a son who is the light of my life! He is 7 1/2 months old now. But I am having a lot of neck/back pain and my local neuro, after an MRI that showed no spinal movement (my syrinx hasn't drained since my decompression in '98 - and he said now may even be a little bigger) he thinks the first decompression was not successful and it needs to be done again. I am going to TCI in July for the first time, but I was wondering how commen it is for the first decompression to be a failure? My syrinx is extremely large, running as far and as wide as it can. The neuro says it physically can't get any bigger, but I really don't want to have to go through this again, especially since I have a baby now. Any thoughts?

jjames
jjames

Postby the 4ks » Thu May 31, 2007 12:04 pm

Congrats on your baby :D
I don't think it is uncommon to have a 2nd decompression surgery especially if the first one was done wrong.
TCI sees alot of this and they said that alot of times they have to fix the 1st Drs. mess-ups.
Good Luck to you.
the 4ks

Postby MEAJA1 » Thu May 31, 2007 1:10 pm

Welcome back JJ and congradulations to your bundle of joy!
-Mary
MEAJA1

Postby jjames » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:34 pm

Thank you! He is the best thing I have ever done, and he is what keeps me moving through it all. His smile lights up my day! Does anyone know someone who has had the second decompression and if it was successful?

jjames
jjames

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders