Jessica is going to college!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Jessica is going to college!

Postby amgameron » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:09 am

Jessica was recently accepted to a college that she had applied to. This is wonderful news to say the least! We didn't think that with all her surgeries and health problems that college was in her future. Now comes the hard part. Paying for it.
Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as grants or scholarships available for people with disabilities? The government only awarded us a few pennies and the school threw in a small amount too. Certainly not enough to even think about being able to afford it.
Any help is appreciated. Thank you!


Postby razzle51 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:27 am

Just get a student loan. Thats what both my kids did when they went to college . Its very simple

or here is a site that might help
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

User avatar
Posts: 3281
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 2:25 pm

Postby Snoozie » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:10 am

Did you apply for the free scholarship from the government? It is called FAFSA here is the link

Also go in person to the couseling dept and ask about any and all scholarships, grants, anything. I have a friend who works at the local university and she said you would be surprised at all of the scholarships available that don't get used.

I say go in person because sometimes that person on the phone may not want to bother or be as eager as my friend to help. WHo knows there may be a scholarship for her health problems.

My daughter will be a senior next year (high school) and since she wants to be a lawyer we will need all the help we can get.

Good luck and congrats on your daughter getting accepted...Sue
User avatar
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 7:38 pm
Location: the freakin desert with the bright lights

ASAP scolarships

Postby Sara » Sat Jun 02, 2007 6:39 am

ASAP offers college scholarships for those diagnosed with SM and/or CM It's not much, but they all add up. talk to your financial aid officer at the college, they should have lots of scholarships for you to look into.
Here is the link for the ASAP College Scholarships:

Holly's mom
Site Admin
Posts: 572
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 1:14 pm

Postby Mayzoo » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:22 pm

Check with your state--my state pays a rehab type scholarship for my daughter's arachnoid cyst and her syrinx. Check with your state rehab

Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 24, 2007 6:12 pm

Postby Gracie Rose » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:55 pm

We have three in college and after you complete your FAFSA you know you get your EFC(estimated family contribution). Call the college and say you need a "special circumstance" form and they may have you send your taxes, your medical bills etc.. You attach a letter describing her conditions and all the difficulties you've all had as well as pharmacy costs, testing etc. (Make sure and say how rare etc. her conditions are).

We had our EFC cut by quite a bit. We also received extra scholarships after they saw that with our medical costing so much, there wasn't much left for tuition.

After all that, mine took out varying amounts of student loans.

Hope that helps,

Gracie Rose
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 1:02 am

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests