Abnormal Sweating

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Abnormal Sweating

Postby Sandy » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:36 pm

Hey,

I'm having a lot of problems with the abnormal sweating lately. Not one-sided or anything, sometimes I sweat all night or I'll just break out in a big sweat in the day for no apparent reason.

I'm trying to cut down on eating sweets, :cry: (wah, wah) but that doesn't seem to be the major trigger.

Any other suggestions, or ways to stop it? Thanks in advance.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby sylvester » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:07 pm

Sandy,
Go ahead and have the cheesecake!

Seriously, if I had any good ideas, I'd have put them to good use several years ago. I have these terrible sweats 6-8 times/day, every day, and I can't figure out what triggers them. Stress has something to do with some of them, heat intolerance sometimes (my little granddaughter leans her warm body against mine and I break out in a sweat). Dr had the nerve to suggest it was "the change" but I did that 10 years before the sweats came back so I don't believe that one.

I have hand fans all over the house so one is handy when I get hot, and I got a "chillow" which helps at night. Its a plastic thing with a foam insert -- you pour 10 cups of water into it, squeeze out the air, and then its cool against your face when you sleep on it. Supposedly you can always find a cool spot, but mine just seems to get warmer as the night goes on. About 4 am I often toss it on the floor because it is hotter than I am. That's also about the time I'm on my second set of nightclothes!

Sorry I can't help. At least I can commiserate :? :?

Anne
sylvester

sweating

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 4:52 am

Sandy do you think it may be Menopausal Symptoms. :roll:
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby sylvester » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:29 am

I forgot to add (til it happened last night after I'd logged off!) that some of the worst sweats follow that awful "electric shock" sensation that I get. It seems to start mid-back and then centers about mid-diaphragm and more or less feels like I've been tasered. Or what I imagine a taser would feel like. That one can only be the dratted SM rearing its ugly head.

But Mac could be right, too. We've said before that not everything that happens to us is SM-related.

Anne
sylvester

symptoms

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:13 am

yes you have to rule out things. And if you have an unusal symptom , nothing you have had before get it checked out , dont blame CM/SM cause it could be something entirely different .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:28 pm

Razzle is right, you have to look at all things but no, it's not menopausal. I wish it were, then it would go away.

Anne, I get the electric taser feeling too! A lot. It's in my feet, the half leading towards the toes and the toes included.

This usually gets worse (taser) when I"m getting low on B12. I have started being able to tell when it's time for my shot by that, back of the leg pains, and ulcers on the inside of my lower gums. Weird...

Glad to hear I can still have cheesecake! LOL! I really enjoy getting input from everybody on things like this. It helps so very much.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby mac » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:44 pm

Sandy et al, what about caffeine? I don't have much trouble with caffeine and I drink a bit of it, but my dh does! After a latte, he sweats bullets and gets kinda sick. I told him it's dehydration, but he won't drink water! Says he knows what fish do in it... :D

So, maybe see if the caffeine, if you drink it or eat it could be making the heat intolerance worse. As you know, I also have it in spades, so glad I've moved from a very hot area down south. I think maybe (?) with NL stuff, we have the heat intolerance and then sugar, caffeine, stress, etc just makes it all much worse. Just my thinkin' on it.

mac
mac

Postby lainiek » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:07 pm

I got this from Dr. Scott Falci's info page at Craig Hospital in Colorado. Dr. Falci is an expert in post-traumatic SM and post-traumatic tethered cord. He sees patients from all over the country.

"The clinical symptoms for syringomyelia and tethered spinal cord are the same. The symptoms may include: progressive loss of sensation or strength, hyperhidrosis (profuse sweating), spasticity, pain, autonomic dysreflexia (labile blood pressure), and/or Horner's syndrome (dilated pupil). Deterioration of the spinal cord related to these myelopathies can occur above and/or below the level of injury."
lainiek

Postby sylvester » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:14 pm

Besides hyperhi-whatever, I obviously can't tell the difference between Razzle and Mac. Brain fog, or, or, :oops: :oops: :oops:

Mucho apologies
Anne
sylvester

Postby ocset1 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:20 pm

Hi

I too get awful sweating usually at night. Not every night but most. Even when its not very hot.

No caffine and not the menopause so could be my SM, and I thought it was just me.....

Regards

AJ
ocset1

Postby specialmomx2 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:42 am

I wonder if it has anything to do with adrenal function?

The adrenals control sweating, I believe. Also I know caffeine stimulates the adrenal glands.

-Paula
"idiopathic" SM T3-T5 taking 50% of available space. Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Cervical stenosis, DDD, metabolic issues including reactive hypoglycemia.

check out my blog: www.onesickmother.com
specialmomx2

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:24 pm

Hyperhidrosis can be common in people with SM and other spinal cord injuries. SM can cause damage or overexcite the sympathetic nerves, which control sweating. I myself have been sweating for no good reason the past couple of months.

In the mean time, monitor your blood pressure and pulse to see if they're abnormal.
Cyborg Ninja

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders