Rods/fusion and headaches

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Rods/fusion and headaches

Postby kathymichelle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:33 am

Hi there..been pretty busy getting ready to head north to WA then AK later this summer..

I have been having horrid headaches with the rods in my head from the fusion last year. They are tender and it hurts. Does any one else have this problem with their rods from fusion?

Just curious. I started taking Relpax in addition to my pain meds.

Thanks in advance for your answers.
kathymichelle

Postby kiminfla » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:07 pm

KM, I don't have any rods but just wanted to show my support and let you know I pray this improves for you! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby kathymichelle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Thanks Kim..appreciate the response. I haven't had much time to be around here.
kathymichelle

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:29 pm

KM,

I"m so sorry. I don't know anything about rods either but I do know how you enjoy to travel.

I hope it lets up for you, you are in my prayers.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Rods

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:35 pm

Rods nope dont know anything about that . Take care .
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby mac » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:33 pm

Hey there galfriend! I think it would be interesting to ask how many people reading this even have the rods from the fusion? You and Keesha, I know. Anyone else? I will have them at the end of the year, but from what youve written, sounds yucky!

loveya
mac
mac

Postby kathymichelle » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:05 pm

PM and email sent to you hun...take a look if you are feeling up to it.

take care..these dang low pressure systems knock the stuffing out of me.
Love
kathymichelle

Postby paularay » Sat Jun 02, 2007 7:45 pm

Hello! Just to let you know that I have rods. It's been four years since my decompression and fusion. I still get headaches but usually if I can, I can lie downfor a little bit with my eyes closed and that helps. The weather affects me alot, I can usually tell when it is going to rain before it is forecasted. I take lortabs here and there but I am not on any regular meds. I also have a shunt that I got three years ago. Try buckwheat pillows for support they help alot.
Hope thing get better.
Paula
paularay

Postby mac » Sun Jun 03, 2007 12:06 am

Paula, I'm glad you posted what you did about laying down. For those with instability, I think this is the one thing that really helps. Now, I know it's hard to keep KM down!! But I know you, KM, have your bad days plenty, too. I wanted to mention that for me, I am just now learning something very effective. I haven't had the surgery yet, but anyway...I lay down every afternoon, even if I don't think I'm tired and needing to sleep. Now, I'm napping every day for 1.5 to 2 hours. This helps my head/neck SO much, to have that weight off of the Cspine for that period of time.

KM...I am wondering if laying down to relieve the rods and screws from holding up the weight a bit might really have a good effect on lessening how sore the rods/screws are feeling (which probably are contributing to the HAs?)...By HAs, are you talking about that lovely deep throb on the "bulb" at the base of the skull? Taking the weight off really helps with that.

So, that was a really good point, Paula, about pillows and laying down. Rest that neck as often as you can, it might help?

love and hugs, yall
mac
mac

Postby Gracie Rose » Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:07 pm

I have those lovely rods, and they don't hurt me. They get completely "stuck" :roll: in the cold weather but when I warm up I can move again.

I too have trouble with weather changes, and I used to think that was a fairy tale before my surgery, but boy am I a barometer!! Laying down is the only thing that helps me along with 3 Advil and a Tylenol.

I have really seen though that what Dr. B told me regarding doing too much was exactly accurate unfortunately :x He said,"If you over-do, you'll pay. And the currency with which you'll pay is the return of your old symptoms for a day or two." That makes me so darn mad I cannot even tell you !!! I can be fine, over-do ,then have difficulty swallowing, nausea, and extreme fatigue ,my legs will not work right and my small motor skills are awful. When I am at a much slower pace I do fine.

This has been the most difficult adjustment for me. I was a 100MPH gal and now I'm in the school zone!!!!! However, I must say this has been a good thing in many ways, but I like my OLD WAYS!

Sorry I've rambled so,

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders