Pain Killers

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Pain Killers

Postby powerlineman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Ok I'm on 3 Norco 10/325 a day and they are not working anymore. I'm going to the doc Monday and I know they'll work with me, but what is alittle stronger than what I'm on? Anyone know? I like the Norco's because the side effects are minimum and I'll stay on them if I have to, but if I can move up one or two without gaining any bad side effects l'd like to.

I've heard Percocet is the next step, is anyone out here on them? If so, do you have any bad side effects?
powerlineman

meds

Postby razzle51 » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:28 pm

Constipation really bad
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Debbieducati » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:01 pm

I just started taking oxycodone 10mg twice a day. This is the longterm drug it las 12 hours. I have only been on this two weeks and it works well for me so far. I have no side effectes at all. I finally came to terms with my condition and had to do something. I was only taking vicodin off and on, and the side effects were awlfull. Before I started taking this I was in so much pain I would cry all weekend long in bed. Yes I did work all week before. I am in the process of getting all my records from my NL to go to Colorado to seek a second opinion. I was told I have prost tramatic SM C-7. The only test so far is an MRI. I have been slowly declining for 2 years. I know other people on this drug and it works well for them with very little side effects. Good luck I hope you find something that works for you it is so important not to be in pain all the time. Love to all

Debbieducati
Debbieducati

Postby powerlineman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:16 pm

Thanks yall. Yea I'm going to talk to the doc and see what he recommends. I'd hate to stay on the Norco but if I had to take 4 a day I will because of minimal side effects. Wont work much but its better than nothing.

I've been on Kadian before (ER Morphine) and it was horrible with side effects.
powerlineman

Postby Sandy » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:51 pm

Hi PLM!

I'm going to have to talk to my doc about something other than Vicoden when I go in next time.

What kind of side effects did you have on the Kadian? (If you don't mind me asking)

And if Percocet is the next step from Vicoden, does anybody know the side effects from that?

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby powerlineman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Kadian is REAL bad about constipation. It worked well for the pain, but put me in more pain from straining which we all know isnt good for us. Then the idiotic doc had the nerve to tell me I wasnt trying to work with him?? (old pain doc). If you can handle that it works well for pain.
powerlineman

Postby jjames » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:17 pm

I was on percocet after I had my baby and it made me very groggy - knocked me out. I had to quit taking it because I couldn't stay awake to take care of my son. Everyone reacts differently, but that was mine.

jjames
jjames

Postby kathymichelle » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:35 am

I think the oxycontin(brand) is the best, I have been on many pain killers and it works well. It doesn't last 12 hours and I haven't had many 'stove up' issues. Plus there is Miralax as well. I would rather have my pain issues addressed than anything.

Hang in there and I hope you can find a happy medium with pain control.
And btw? I missed you !!
kathymichelle

Postby Tidbit » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:48 am

Any narcotic (codeine, morphine, oxycodone etc) can give you constipation because basically they slow down the motility of your gastrointestinal tract. Obviously the stronger the narcotic, the worse the constipation can be. But it's a class effect for all the narcotics.

Same with the drowsiness. The good thing is studies have shown that for people who are truly in pain and need the narcotics, the drowsiness is not as bad as for people who don't truly need them AND it tends to go away after a short time of constant chronic use. I wish I still had the studies to give you.

But basically if you truly need the drug, your body doesn't respond the same way as an abuser for example and you don't experience the side effects the same way, AND the drowsiness goes away and you function normally on it. I know I do, and most of the people I talked to in my practice do too. You just have to give your body a fair shake at it to get used to it and then you don't even realize you're on it anymore (except for the lovely constipation which WON'T go away, unfortunately).

Myself, when the short acting narcotics weren't working anymore (I was popping them like House, lol... .them being first Tylenol 3 then Percocet), I went onto Oxycontin to get a steady level of the drug constantly in my bloodstream and it provided much more predictable and constant pain control.

For a while I was taking Oxycontin, Percocet when needed, naproxen, and baclofen. I started taking amitriptyline a few months ago (at bedtime) and have been able to cut out the naproxen and baclofen completely and hardly ever need to take a Percocet anymore.

Hope this helps,
Amy
Idiopathic SM C4-T1 and T2-T11. Cervical laminectomy and duraplasty May 2005. Syringosubarachnoid shunt Sept 2006. From Ontario, Canada.
Tidbit

Postby mac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Thanks so much, Amy! That is really great info from a pro! I'm so glad you are back and able to help us out with our med. questions!! Thanks again

mac
mac

Postby powerlineman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:54 pm

Well they decided to up my dosage from 3x a day to 4. If that doesnt work this next month, she'll put me on the Percocet's.

She also put me on a Lidoderm Patch (700mg). Anybody know anything about these?
powerlineman

Postby mac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:53 pm

Hi, Josh...I take Norco 5/325's and I take 4-5 of them a day. They really are not doing the job anymore. My tethered cord/leg and feet pain are going through the roof, with that lower back pain from it as well. My doctor suggested going up to 7.5/325's....I guess that's a good idea if the body just is going to get used to it, might as well give me two more bumps to go.

My dh uses Lidoderm patches for his back and they work okay. YOu can use it all day, even along with your reg. pain meds, as I understand it. I don't think they are "awesome" but do have some effectiveness.

take care, my friend

mac
mac

Postby powerlineman » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:12 pm

I've heard they are expensive but wont know until tomorrow. If so, I aint getting them. I cant afford something that might not work. I've heard they were over $100 for a months worth. I'll have to pay that just for the pain pills...
powerlineman

Postby mac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:50 pm

I believe we had good insurance when Pete got them, so he didn't have to pay...can't tell you the price on that...if it costs that much, he won't be buying them either (now that we're on Medicare)....

take care!
mac
mac

Postby mac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:21 pm

Josh, I asked Pete about the patches and he said they were just so-so, hard to put on, and definitely not worth $100 a month. 'Course, they might work better for you, I don't know...

mac
mac

Next

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders