Craniosacral therapy???

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Craniosacral therapy???

Postby hartagold23 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:00 pm

Today, I had my first appointment with a physical therapist, and she said I should look into something called Craniosacral Therapy. Have any of you tried it/heard of it for someone like me who just had tethered spinal cord release surgery? Here's an excerpt from the Wikipedia page on it:

"This therapy involves assessing and addressing the movement of the cerebrospinal fluid (CSF), which can be restricted by trauma to the body, such as through falls, accidents, and general nervous tension. By gently working with the spine, the skull and its cranial sutures, diaphragms, and fascia, the restrictions of nerve passages are eased, the movement of CSF through the spinal cord can be optimized, and misaligned bones can be restored to their proper position. This therapy is said to be particularly useful for mental stress, neck and back pain, migraines, TMJ Syndrome, and for chronic nervous conditions such as fibromyalgia."

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby hartagold23 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:26 am

Bump...just wondering about your comments on this...
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby Snoozie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:48 am

Hi Barb, don't have any personal advice on Craniosacral therapy. I have heard some say it was great and others say it didn't do a thing.

If your insurance will pay for it why not give it a try. Hey you can be our guinea pig ok. Meant in a nice way of course :lol:

I think it is very soft gently touch or maybe even no touch at all. I also think it only deals with your head so I don't hink it would affect your lumbar spine.

OK I realize I am not much help but just felt like talking. Blah blah blah...Hope you are feeling better though...Sue :D
Snoozie

Postby hayla2 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Here is something weird that happened with my experience with Craniosacral therapy: A therapist came to see my daughter. She said she has learned that style of therapy and asked if she could try it on my daughter. At the time we had no idea what was going on with my child except that she was low-toned. I let her. She closed her eyes, like she was meditating, rubbed around on my daughter's head. She looked like she was in a trance. Then she looked up at me and asked if my daughter had been diagnosed with any type of obstruction that would cause her spinal fluid to not flow right. I said no. she said "interesting". she told me that she believed that my child did. then years later after begging docs to do an mri, we found that my daughter had cm/sm.
that really freaked me out. i didn't have anymore dealings with that therapist but she definitely was right. melissa
hayla2

Postby prism » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:10 pm

Hi,

I've had some Cranial Sacral work done, with mixed results. And I've asked a whole slew of people on-line about their experiences and have found mixed opinions there too. I think it may depend on you and the CStherapist you see.
One thing I experienced is the worst headache EVER following my first treatment and subsequent efforts on my part using ear manipulation (which can stimulate CSF flow) That scared me for a while.
I tried it again with a different CS therapist and the treatment itself- while TOTaLLY minimal touch- was very painful-
but I have pain upon lying down alone, so, take it for what it's worth.

On the positive side, I was able to function-- neurological like problems were lessened and I had a clearer head after the CS therapy-
I finally resorted to trying to educate myself. I've read some books and ordered a "stillpoint' inducer" which I use everyday-
You can "make" one with a couple of tennis balls in a sock, place them under your skull, in line with the holes in your ears- 10 minutes is all I do at a time and it relieves some of my pain pretty well.
You can also lay on a Very slight incline, head downward to get the CSF flowing. I have found that helpful, but don't have a nice place or incline board to do that presently.

I may have just confused you more! But I can give you some sites to look at if you're interested. Best of luck!
8) prism
prism

Postby hartagold23 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 pm

Wow, all very interesting comments....

Thanks!

Barb
hartagold23

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders