Looking for a shoulder to "cry" on

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby Littlepixie1981 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:04 pm

Hey everyone

I'm just looking for some sympathetic ears i guess, so i thought what better place to come than where people know how i feel.

I am having a bad patch with pain at the moment, it just seems to creep up on me. Tonight i have taken Gabapentin, paracetamol & Diclofenac and i still feel like i've been beaten around the head with a hammer!

I had 3 hours sleep last night so thought i would crash out tonight but no, here i am at 1am wide awake! I just cant seem to get my head and neck comfortable lying in bed at the moment. Any suggestions?

I'll be speaking to my GP on Weds to let him know how i'm getting on with the new combo of meds - (not great!) - and i'm hoping he will be able to come up with something that will at least take the edge of this pain while i'm waiting for my shunt exploratory surgery (god knows when that will be!)

I'm so sorry for rambling on tonight, i guess i just needed to vent.

I live to fight another day!

Lydia x
England
CM (not decompressed) spina Bifida, Hydrocephalus & Scoliosis.
Littlepixie1981

Postby mac » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:57 pm

Lydia, you poor thing!! We're here to listen!! Your pain sounds enormous and of course, nighttime and bed time are the worst, aren't they? We can't ignore our pain during those times. I often can't get comfortable with my head and neck, but one thing that has helped me (but not be anything that would help you in your situation) is to lie on my side (I find my left side gives me less pain than my right) and lay my upper arm sort of straight along the top of my side/hip. This helps as it doesn't allow the weight of the arm to draw down upon the neck/skull base. You can't hurt to try it.

Other than that, I do what you are doing, I get up and get on the computer and take some meds and wait til I'm tired enough to fall asleep in spite of the pain. I am sure you have tried ice paks on the back of your head? that helps me a lot. Couldn't live without my iced gel pak!

Take care, sweetie, we're here to listen anytime. Praying for you!

love, mac
mac

Postby Sandy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:57 pm

Lydia,

I'm so sorry. The insomnia can just seem unbearable at times. Different things help different folks.

Visualization helps me. I visualize the days when I could canoe down the beautiful river, take a break and lay on the Gravelbar Hilton to rest and take in some sun, hear the water trickling. You know, relaxing, calming things I was able to do in my past life.

Maybe you can try that, too? I'm so sorry about your pain. I so wish there was a magic bullet. If I ever find one I"m going to buy a whole bunch of them and just pass them out here to everybody.

Ahh...the days of when good sleep came easy, and pain was just an annoyance after a day of fun or work.

I hope you feel better.

Here for anything I can do.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby Littlepixie1981 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 am

Hi guys

Thank you all so much for your messages of support. It helps just to know that there are people out there who know how i feel. My head is doing much better today and i managed to sleep through the night last night.

Yesterday i bought myself a memory foam contoured pillow. I think that helped a lot althought it will take some getting used to as my other pillows aren't as firm as this one.

Thanks once again

Take care

Lydia x
England
cm, spina bifida, hydrocephalus & scoliosis.
Littlepixie1981

water pillow

Postby prism » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi,
I've always had a lot of head and neck pain lying down. Recently bought a water pillow from Amazon-- the difference is pretty great! :D prism
prism

Postby kiminfla » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:47 pm

Lydia, So happy to read you're doing a little better today! This stuff is truly overwhelming, at times, but I'm hoping more bright days are right around the corner for you! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders