I'm filling fine [dentist time]

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

I'm filling fine [dentist time]

Postby k!tkat » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:29 am

Okay, I've had my little play on words...

I finally went to see the dentist today... it's been three years since my last checkup. The outcome wasn't too bad. I have to have two fillings done and one fissure filling.

I've never had a filling done before though and I'm very nervous. Has anyone got any advice? I know they give you a local anasthetic to numb the area, but do you feel much else? Is the needle in the gum painful? I also suffer from CPS [which makes me quite sensitive to general touch] and I'm worried about how I'm going to deal with the experience.

Any recommendations also on how to reduce back/neck pain? I was only in the chair today for about twenty minutes but found myself very stiff and sore.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Warmest wishes
Danielle [Ella]

23 years old, Western Australia. SM T6-T11, compression fractures T8/9. No CM. Central Pain Syndrome.
k!tkat

DENTIST

Postby razzle51 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:54 am

This was posted on another chiari site :
What can we do to avoid symptoms from progressing when seeing a dentist?

Tell the dentist about what positions of the neck are particularly uncomfortable for you. The dentist may be able to position his chair for your maximal comfort. If straining during the procedure is a problem, sedation or nitrous oxide may relax you. Patients with sleep apnea should discuss this condition with their dentist before any procedure under anesthesia or sedation.

Dr. John Heiss

When I go I have a pillow under my neck and a rolled up towel under my knees. Just explain to the Dentist . If you can handle getting both filled at once do it but if not do one at a time.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby angie7 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:41 am

I just got fillings yesterday! Yes they do numb you and you dont really feel anything else after that. The intial shot does pinch a little and you can feel the numbing stuff going in (at least I can) Depending on where they put it is how bad it hurts..

As far as the neck, just tell the denist that you cant hyperextend your neck, they can lift the headrest up so it is more comfortable for you.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby Snoozie » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 am

I have a small bean bag type pillow that I take. It supports my neck while in the chair.

It also helps to have an understanding dentist. I didn't say anything to my prior dentist because I didn't want to complain so I just didn't go back. Well that didn't work so I knew I had to speak up for my self and found another dentist who will work with me.

Shots are not bad and they put some numbing gel on beforehand so that helps. I also take a pain pill as soon as I am done so it has kicked in before the numbness wears off.

It will be fine, so try to relax. Sending positive thoughts your way...Sue
Snoozie

Postby prism » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:05 am

Have any of you ever experienced the Novacain affecting a whole side of your body or giving you severe chest pain? :?: prism
prism

Dental

Postby razzle51 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:39 am

There are several kinds of Novacain that Dentist use . Would have to know exactly which one you had . There is one Carbocaine that makes your heart race etc . Do to my health conditions , My dentist uses a certain one on me . It wears off alot faster . Cant think of the name off hand .

Just remembered Lidocaine
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby keggler » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:41 am

I've posted this in the past---I can't have novacaine--it doesn't last long enough--and by the time the dentist is through giving me shots,the damage to my mouth causes swelling so I usually have most work done without anything. I'am not alone,my doctor has a few pts like me,that perfer little or no shots.

Later...Jerry in Carolina...
"You are what you eat----and-----You are what you think"

"Be Good To Yourself"
CM1-S/M-Basilar Invagination
keggler

Postby mac » Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:42 pm

Epinephrine is what they put into the numbing shots to help it last longer. I'm like Roz, I am very sensitive to epinephrine, if they put too much in there, my heart starts racing and I get very very cold (they had to bring me a blanket). Now, I tell them that I can't take epinephrine and what that means is they have to give the numbing shots more often.

BTW, when we would find stressed new born calves that were about dead, we'd give them a shot of epinephrine under the tongue and it would jumpstart their hearts and often save their lives.

mac
mac

Nitrous Oxide

Postby k!tkat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Will they generally give you nitrous oxide if you request it or do you usually need a letter from your doctor explaining your condition?

Are there any factors that can affect your sensitivity to epinephrine? My pulse is usually quite fast to start with [around 100 at rest] so I don't want to do anything to accelerate it further.

Thank you all for your advice, I'll take a little pillow along with me and hopefully that will make it a little more comfortable.

Dani
k!tkat

Postby k!tkat » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:33 am

Hi Keesha

Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if things work the same way over here [I'm in Western Australia] but I will call up the dentist and see what I can arrange. Hopefully it's not too big a problem to organise. I think once they start drilling though I'm just going to want them to keep going and get it over and done with... but I guess that depends on how sore my back and neck get too!

Dani
k!tkat

Postby mac » Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:07 am

Dani, I didn't need a doctor's letter in order to request a lower dosage on the epinephrine. So, maybe you can just tell them about your heart rate when you first go and that you are concerned about the epi and what do they think? I think they should have the info on your high heart rate anyway, in your charts. They deal with all kinds of people there every day, so they will know how to handle it. Don't be worried, okay?

let us know how it goes

mac
mac

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders