Post Operative Syringomyelia

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Post Operative Syringomyelia

Postby VHWilkinson » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Hello....I am new to the group and found this group by researching. I have a 16 year old nephew who had ACM Type 1 decompression surgery in July 06. In addition he also had a very sizable syrinx. Unfortunatley complications occurred in Aug with the patch leaking and an additional surgery was performed. Progress has been made over the past months and he recently had a full MRI scan. The results were not as we expected. We thought (or had the understanding) that the syrnix would be eliminated or greatly reduced with the surgery. However the recent MRI results show the syrnix size has not changed. OUr concern now is the effects of the syrnix and additional complications. The drs. advised they wanted to watch/monitor for another year and follow up with an MRI. Any info of web sites that provides info would be greatly appreciated. Is this normal procedure or should we follow-up with another physician? Thanks in advance for your replies and support....
VHWilkinson

post operative syringomyelia

Postby teacherlady » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:44 pm

I had decomp. surgery in Feb. '07. I have cm/sm also. My doctor told me that it could take up to a year or more for the syrinx to shrink. My symptoms post-op have improved. I still have some numbness in arms and legs which are attributed to the syrinx. I am hoping with time that it will get better. I don't know if this info helped or not? Good luck and God bless!
teacherlady

Postby heaven » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:16 pm

Hi, I had decompression surgery in 01. Syrinx are all the same. After waiting this long for them to shrink, I feel I need to find someone to do shunts.

syringomyelia, chiai I, scoliois, possibly Chrons, anxiety
heaven

Postby paularay » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:37 pm

I had decomp surgery 4 years ago and a year later I had to have a shunt put in because the spinal fluid was backing up on my brain causing hydrocephalus. The shunt relieved all the pressure I was having and caused the syrinx to quit growing. But from what I understood and I could be wrong, I would always veiw my MRI's before I left. I had a great relationship with the lab techs since I was getting them once a month. But anyway, even though the spinal fluid may have been decompressed the damage is still there and you will see that on the MRI and the spinal fluid will not flow the same way it did because the syrinx basically wallered out your spinal cord. So basically your always going to see the damaged area on the MRI. But double check on that, thats just what I understood.
Paula
paularay

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders