do you have leg pain

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

do you have leg pain

Postby wildfire » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:30 pm

this is my first post, although I have visited the site in the past. I have sm at c6-7, severe pain in left arm, shoulder & hands. I have noticed my left leg becoming numb and painful, was wondering if others have had this happen to them. If so, was it immediate or over time. I have known of sm for about four years now.
wildfire

Postby mac » Tue Jun 05, 2007 5:33 pm

Wildfire, welcome back. I do not have SM that I know of, but I do have tethered cord and instability. I have really bad leg pain. It started with numbness and tingling but now, it's become quite the ache, down deep, one that wakes me up at night. My feet hurt really bad all the time too.

I know folks with Sm will be along soon to tell you their experiences.

mac
mac

Postby Ryzing » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:21 pm

Wildfire,

I've got a lot more numbness and tingling in my legs than before. It's much worse when I'm standing or walking more than usual. No, it was not immediate. I had tremor in my legs at first, but the numbness and tingling has happened more in the last 8 months or so (tremor is still there, too :x )....and it seems to be getting worse. I have these spots on my left leg that always seem to be numb :?: I thank God I can still walk :) !

Sorry to hear you're having these symptoms, too :(

Diane
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby wildfire » Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:52 am

thanks. this is something I will have to tell my doctor about. my pain & numbenss is only on one side though.
wildfire

Postby Ryzing » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:53 pm

I don't have the pain so many of SM'ers have with this condition. I don't know if it's because my syrinx is so thin or what. I've got enough other symptoms to go around, though! :P The left side seems to be affected on many of us - that's my worst side, too.
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby angie7 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:44 pm

Mine sounds like what Mac described. Just a really painful, down deep, aching, burning type pain. I also have alot of weakness with them as well. I try to explain it to people by describing it as sitting around all winter, not doing much, and then getting a bicycle and riding about 10 miles uphill. It is constant and really bothersome..They say it cant be b/c of my syrinx b/c it is in my cervical spine, and they keep testing me for everything else but cant find anything so who knows...
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby Stacie » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:05 pm

I have SM at c6-7 & also have leg pain - left worse than right. Twitches, tingling, achy & sometime hot/cold spots. My NL says typically cervical doesn't affect lower limbs, but not much is known about SM, he won't rule out possibility of it being the cause. Was glad to hear others have problems with feet hurting. Sometimes the soles of my feet hurt so bad! Recently noticed deep hurting/aching behind each knee - weird....
Stacie

Postby k!tkat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:33 pm

I have SM from T6-T11 and experience leg/foot pain [left side is worse than right]. I get sharp pains that shoot through my legs and feet, a burning sensation in my calf muscles and twitches in my calf muscles. The neurologist has attributed this to central pain syndrome as he doesn't believe my syrinx would be affecting my legs. I also experience similar symptoms in my hands and arms.

What a pain!

Sorry to hear you are all going on through the same. I just started gabapentin which is meant to help with the nerve pain but I've had to start at such a small dosage I've yet to notice any results [50mg at night].

Warmest wishes to you all.

Dani xx
k!tkat

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders