Marital Relations

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Marital Relations

Postby heaven » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:30 pm

Are there anyone else out there having sexual problems? No having the will to, or being in to much pain to be in the mood. Or getting constant UTIs? :oops:
heaven

Postby Gracie Rose » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:50 pm

This can be a symptom of occult tethered cord syndrome and can be associated with ACM.

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby heaven » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:57 pm

How do I know what it is? Sorry, I don't know what tethered cord is. Also, do anyone have problems with their bodies being warm them cold to the touch?
heaven

Postby heaven » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:01 am

Still looking for an Atlanta Doctor. Any help would be appreciated. Or, should I just go to the VA?
heaven

Postby Gracie Rose » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:12 am

Hi,

In the last year there has been an association between tethered cord and ACM. Tethered cord is when a portion of the cord is "tethered" to the surrounding structures in the spinal canal. It can be from Spina Bifida, it can happen with fatty tumors, scar tissue etc.

If you Google Tethered Cord Syndrome or Occult Tethered Cord Syndrome there is good info out there about it. There is also info and posts on the Chiariconnection boards at Yahoo.

I had a Tethered Cord and had sexual issues. They competely resolved after the de-tethering. I will list some symptoms that are connected with this, but read up on it yourself too.

urinary issues frequency
urgency
not emptying all the way
incontinence
Bowel issues chronic constipation
diahrrea
incontinence
sexual issues lack of interest
inability to achieve orgasm
decreased sensation in the pelvic area
numbness and/or tingling in the pelvic area
severe growing pains as an adolescent
foot and leg pain
numbness/tingling under the foot
flat feet or very high arches
sacral dimple

I can't remeber any more !!

Hope that helps,

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby Gracie Rose » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:18 am

oops, forgot to mention a "tight fillum terminale" as you'll see that mentioned too. At the bottom of the spinal cord there is a very fine string of tissue that can become too tight and cause a pulling down of the cord. There is some thought that this may cause some Chiari's as the cord pulls all neural structures downward.

If anyone out there sees anything incorrect please correct me.

Many folks with ACM or high ICP can suffer from temperature control issues. Mine were dramatically improved after my surgeries. It has to do with the pituatary, and thyroid.

Lisa
Gracie Rose

Postby hartagold23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:03 pm

Yes, I had almost all of those symptoms with my tethered cord until I just had surgery about 2 weeks ago. Now, it seems all symptoms have resolved except bladder control and sexual desire/orgasm--those have not returned yet, but it's too soon to worry about that. I will let time and physical therapy heal things, as I hope it will.

You are not alone! It will get better, I firmly believe that!

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby Cyborg Ninja » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:01 pm

Sounds like maybe syringomyelia is damaging the lower part of your spinal cord, and affecting your sex drive and bladder. It's known about and usually listed in symptoms for SM and related problems. There is a severe problem that can also occur that warrants a trip to the ER. It's called autonomic dysreflexia. Hopefully your problems will alleviate.

http://www.spinalcord.org/html/factshee ... flexia.php
Cyborg Ninja

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders