My 2-week post op. update

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

My 2-week post op. update

Postby hartagold23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi, everyone:

As you know, I had TC surgery 2 weeks ago. I just wanted you all to know how I'm doing.

Well, I can't believe what a fantastic job the docs at Dartmouth-Hitchcock in NH did on me. I have been relieved of just about all pain! (Can you imagine being in excruciating pain before surgery for years and then to have it magically disappear after surgery?? That's what happened to me!) Plus, my left leg, which was paralyzed, became unparalyzed about 2 days after surgery! Those two things alone just totally amaze me! I owe huge thanks to not only the doctors, but God, of course, as he certainly does listen to prayer. And I thank all of you for your support and prayers, too.

I just got through my first week of physical and occupational therapy. My walking is slowly improving, but because I still have back and leg spasms, I still have to use a walker. I hope the spasms will go away soon so I can let go of the walker! (Is there anyone else who had TC surgery that experienced spasms for a while after surgery? Let me know your experiences with that and how long it lasted, okay?)

Also still plaguing me is the lack of bladder control. I have to straight-cath myself a couple times a day for that. Don't know if I will ever get that back because it was an issue before surgery for quite a while. But, hey--I had so many good, amazing things happen with the surgery, the bladder problem is the least of my worries.

Well, that's it for now. I need to rest. Can't sit at the computer too long or it puts too much pressure on my lumbar spine and then makes it hard to get up.

Thanks for listening and celebrating my wonderful experience with the surgery!

With love,
Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Postby mac » Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:46 pm

Barb, I'm SO happy to hear how well this all turned out for you! This is all such an answer to prayer. Do the docs say that your bladder issues may resolve later on, with time?

I just found out I also have to have the TC surgery, before my fusion. Your post here came just at the right time for me, to hear that it can be so successful. I needed that just now.

Barb, I know you will continue to get better and stronger and be back walking before you know it. It all takes time.

Do you think the spasming you are having could also be the bladder problem as well? Maybe once that spasming calms down, the bladder issues will get better?

love and hugs
yer pal mac
mac

Postby Janice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm happy to hear you are doing so much better. I have read about some of the problems you were having and then read you note when you came home from the hospital. You are doing so well and staying positive. It is very re-assuring to hear and read about. I wish you continued healing in the remaining areas of concern for you. Hang in there.

GOD Bless!

Janice
Janice

Postby cash71 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:34 pm

Barb, I'm so glad to hear you are doing so well! What a wonderful answer to all the prayers that have been said on your behalf. Remember to take it easy though, OK. And keep us posted.

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby kiminfla » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 pm

Barb, What a blessing! Thanks for sharing that -- success for any of us makes my day! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby hartagold23 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks, everyone, for the kind comments and encouragement.

Mac, I'm not sure about the spasming--perhaps like you said, it takes time. It just seems to be leveling off (staying the same) the last couple of days, so I'm worried it won't go away and I'll be stuck with the walker forever. Just don't know. But I'll try to stay positive--I have so much to be thankful for.

I will post a new topic on the spasming soon if I don't hear from anyone else who had TC surgery and still had spasms.

Thanks again!

Barb
SM/TCS/SB-lipoma/B12 def/Scoliosis/IBS. Had TCS surgery May 24 '07-syrinx totally drained! CSF leak repair--July 16 '07. Currently using a walker for short distances, probably permanently. Surgery was worth it to kill most of the pain!
hartagold23

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders