why does syrigomyelia cause excessive sweating? i have

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

why does syrigomyelia cause excessive sweating? i have

Postby DavidinCinci » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:12 pm

always had a problem with sweating. i didn't know it was symptom of syringo until a couple weeks ago. it can be 20 degrees out i will sweat.
DavidinCinci

SWEATING

Postby razzle51 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:29 pm

Where does it say its a symptom ? The only thing I have read is a sensitivity to hot and cold.

The symptoms of SM are numerous and a person may have various combinations of different symptoms. Symptoms tend to develop slowly, although sudden onset may occur with coughing and straining. Some common symptoms include: loss of sensitivity, especially to hot and cold, muscle weakness and spasticity, motor impairment, loss of bowel and bladder control, as well as osteoporosis and scoliosis. The majority of patients suffer from headaches and chronic pain.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby Debbieducati » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:05 pm

I David. I also have had problems with this since December. I thought is was a hormonal problem but then found out it is not just that it is because for the SM. Some days are worse then others and I have not found a solution yet. When I do I will let you all know. Good luck and love to all.

Sincerely Debbieducati
SM C5-7
Debbieducati

Postby sylvester » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:18 pm

One site that lists abnormal sweating as a symptom of SM is the Patient Awareness sheet on the ConquerChiari website
http://www.conquerchiari.org/awareness/ ... 0Sheet.pdf

I've seen it several other places, too. If I find them I'll post them.
sylvester

Postby Janice » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:29 pm

Thanks for the posting.

Take care all,

Janice
Janice

sweating

Postby razzle51 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:43 pm

that is with combination of Chiari on the Conquer Chiari site
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby cash71 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:07 pm

I have had problems with sweating on one side of my forehead (the Right side) every since my MVA in 1994. One the days when I get a lot of neck pain or sub occipital headache then the sweating increases. Seems to me that some nerves in the cervical area are being compressed leading to this symptom. Don't know if I am right though.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby sylvester » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:12 pm

That's the problem most of us have getting any information about SM. Because 85-90% of SM exists in conjunction with Chiari, most sources don't separate the two, or if they do they often treat SM alone as an incidental occurance. If you check the Conquer Chiari site, you'll find patient awareness sheets and pt education for BOTH Chiari and Syringomyelia, separately. Excessive sweating is listed as a symptom of SM but not of Chiari. I've seen it in other sources, too; when I have time and a little less nausea I'll look for it.
sylvester

Postby lainiek » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:26 pm

Here's another link where sweating is listed as a symptom of SM:

http://www.craighospital.org/sci/rehabneurosurgery.asp

This is a page about Dr. Falci in Denver.

He specializes in just post-traumatic SM (not Chiari)

From this web page:

"The clinical symptoms for syringomyelia and tethered spinal cord are the same. The symptoms may include: progressive loss of sensation or strength, hyperhidrosis (profuse sweating), spasticity, pain, autonomic dysreflexia (labile blood pressure), and/or Horner's syndrome (dilated pupil). Deterioration of the spinal cord related to these myelopathies can occur above and/or below the level of injury."

I made an appt. with him in July. His nurse also asked me on the phone if I experience excessive sweating (I don't) as a symptom.

Hope this helps.
lainiek

Postby starmoon » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:54 pm

Hi lainiek,

I also have sweating. I have T2-T3 syrinx. When I did my reseach I found that it is one of the sx of SM.

Starmoon
starmoon

Postby powerlineman » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:58 pm

I sweat also and I only have SM. I have also sweat profusely in bed but that was from a certain drug I was on.
powerlineman

Sweating

Postby okieloanchick » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:30 am

I sweat like a pig! And why does everyone have to get so technical? Without anyone (doctors, etc?) researching this crap (Chiari and SM), who can give a solid list of symptoms?

Oh, and by the way, Hi Y'all!!
-Kristy
okieloanchick

Postby rcdad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:10 am

Hello David,

I have had SM for many years and I too sweat like a pig !!!

There is never a reason, and most of the time I am sitting doing nothing.

For many years I thought it was just me and or because I am a carrier of the Systic Fibrosis gene. People with CF sweat large quantities of salt.

As I type this reply the sweat is now running down my arms and dripping off my elbows. And sweat is running down the side of my face.

Often I wake up soaking wet with sweat and need to change my clothing. I dont feel hot , but I do get very cold because I am often wet from head to toe.

Take care, Good day to all. Vince
rcdad

Postby SMLady » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:57 am

Hello. I have the sweating at night too. During the day I'm always freezing, but at night I am so hot I sweat (And no, it's not hormonal.) I think it falls under the category of "body has trouble regulating temperature".

It's fun to be us! Hope everyone is having a nice day! :)
SMLady

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders