Question about Shunts?

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Question about Shunts?

Postby Bryan » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:12 pm

In 2005 I went to see a NS who from what I have been told is a very good one.He mentioned shunting (Subarachnoid Space or Pleural Space) but then said he felt that the shunt would last no longer then two years and possibly six months.
After having a Digital X-ray which mentioned the Odontoid was superiorly displaced due to basilar invagination.
He said surgery was not a recommended treatment.
I've had a Cervical Syrinx seen from C2 to C7 which according to my notes has been present since my first MRI which was in 2000 it has remained the same (It was also noted that it could have been present since my Chiari Surgery in 1974) of course there were no MRI's then so the status of the Spinal Cord was unkown.
I have seen where many people have Shunting done I was just wondering if this helped ? and how long there shunts lasted.THANK YOU
Chiari II surgery 1974 age 17 before MRI's found with Pneumoencephalogram.Suboccipital Craniectomy:Lamminectomy of C1 & C2 and Scarred Cerebellar Tonsils.
I now have Tonsillar Hernition;Syrinx and Basilar Invagination.
Bryan

Postby paularay » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:22 pm

Hello, I have had a shunt for three years. I had spinal decompression and spinal fusion of the c3 to c5 four years ago and I developed hydrocephalus so my NS placed a shunt on the right ventrical to help with the spinal fluid drainage. My particular shunt has a computer chip in it so when I need an adjustment on the flow they just put this thing up next to my head and it reprograms the opening I guess. I was told that the lifespan of a shunt is about five years but I know several people who have them and they have had the same one longer than that. I have only had mine adjusted once and really have had no trouble with it. Hope this helps.
Paula
paularay

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders