A question for those of you with a programmable shunt

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

A question for those of you with a programmable shunt

Postby Littlepixie1981 » Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:45 am

Hi everyone

I was just curious to know, Are people with programmable shunts able to wear earphones? such as on MP3 players etc.... I was told no by my Nsg's secretary, but i dont see why not because earphones are so small these days and what harm could a magnet that size do?

If anyone knows the answer i would be very grateful

Thanks

Lydia x
England
Littlepixie1981

programmable shunts and earphones

Postby trudibee » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:57 pm

I was never told I was not supposed to use earphones with my programmable shunt and while in hospital used them in front of nurses and doctors without eliciting any comment.

I now have a new type of programmable shunt that does not react to magnets called a Miethke proGav. Mine does however set off the alarm when going through airport scanner frame!

Greetings
Trudi
trudibee

Postby paularay » Sat Jun 09, 2007 2:07 pm

I have had mine for three years and there has never been anything said about not using earphones etc. As a matter of fact, most places now give you headphones with music playing during MRI's. I sometimes have a piercing sound in my ear on occation from some interference but I have never had any trouble with anything else. I do have to tell them when I have an x-ray or cat scan. But thats because it may show up funny on thier film.
Paula
paularay

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders